We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

Wife and I have booked return airfares to Europe in September and paid for flights and accommodation using our Westpac earthblack credit cards. We have never used free insurance before preferring to buy standalone travel insurance. The insurer is Zurich. However I thought "why not" - there are a lot of happy customers on the web saying its okay. However, is there a catch?

According to PDS to qualify (in general terms) you have to have a return overseas travel ticket, and A$500 of your prepaid travel costs have been charged to credit card. On that basis we qualify as our (so far) booked accommodation is in excess of $1,000 (i.e. more than $500 each). However in the definition section under the definition of the word "trip" it reads "overseas passage by the cardholder as a paying passenger..... Provided that before the passage commenced the cost of the passage was charged to the cardholders eligible credit card account .....". The word "journey" is also defined.

Does anyone know is there is a distinction between a journey and a trip? I have been through the PDS a couple of times and while the word trip got a few mentions, it remains unclear. If they mean the same thing then simply paying $500 each on the credit card will not get you free insurance. Does the condition that you have a return overseas travel ticket somehow get caught up with the definition of trip which then means you must also purchase your tickets on your card?

I followed the PDS directive and phoned Zurich. The person said that all I had to do was "buy your plane tickets". Now I know that is not "all" I had to do so I didn't take the matter any further with them.

I believe we will be covered on this occasion. However a major concern I have is what will happen next time if I decide to purchase our seats using points.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

Plain English should prevail.

It seems to me that the advice from the Zurich person was pretty accurate. The formal words that you quote say to me, at least, that the travel ("journey") component of your holiday ("trip") must be paid for with the card.

Did you buy your tickets with the card?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,404 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

>>>However a major concern I have is what will happen next time if I decide to purchase our seats using points<<<

My interpretation as above would be that, should you proceed to purchase your next flight using points, rather than charged to your card, you will not be covered.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

I would agree with Luigi and his interpretation. To be certain I suggest that you email the enquiry to Zurich and get a comprehensive reply in writing.

It is important to understand any other conditons. I have previously used my Amex travel insurance successfully. You may have to pay for any "claimable" expenses on the card. You should also check the $ limits for claims. If these are within your needs fine. Probably you will need to take out stand alone medical cover, but this is much cheaper and more straightforward than comprehensive.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

I did purchase the return flights on the same card.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

I have just read the PDS. Phew!! It's quite clear that the fundamental requirement is that the "passage", "trip", "journey" or whatever must be paid for with the card. The answer to the final part of your question about tickets traded for points would seem to be that, no, you cannot be covered in that circumstance.

Edited: 22 June 2013, 05:35
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

My flights were booked using points but I have prepaid the hire car in the UK so do I qualify for the travel insurance with a minimum $500 pre paid travel costs ?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

Read the policy. That is the only way to know what (if anything) is covered.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

westpac.com.au/docs/pdf/pb/westpac_credit_ca…

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

In reply to the above question about travel insurance I have found out from the bank that as long as you have tickets for overseas travel regardless of whether you paid on your credit card you are eligible for the insurance if a minimum of $500.travel costs have been pre paid on the account. As we have pre paid the car rental costs we qualify for the insurance. Thank you for your replies.

10. Re: Westpac earthblack credit card travel insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 05:16