We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Cairo
9 posts
Save Topic
Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Hello,

We’re planning our honeymoon and would like to spend around 20 days between Australia and New Zealand.

This is our first time visiting both countries and we are interested more in exploring the culture/city life and enjoying the natural beauty in the optimal way than engaging in any sporty or adventurous activities.

During our trip, we are interested in spending our time doing a combination of the following activities:

• Fine dining/cafes/local cuisines in or overlooking scenic nature/sea views/harbors

• Leisurely walks in dynamic big cities, artsy small towns and scenic natural surroundings

• Attending cultural events: theaters, music, art galleries, museums, etc.

• Short day trips to must-see locations

• Some shopping

Note:

• We want the trip to take a relatively leisurely pace and thereby avoid crowding too much cities and things to do all at once

• We will not be driving and are thinking of relying on walking, public transport and tour operators

Main questions:

• Which cities should we visit, in what sequence and how many days to spend in each?

• What is the best travel mode within and between these cities?

• What are the major must-sees/must do’s in each city given the nature of our trip?

Many thanks in advance for any tips and hints.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Note:

• We want the trip to take a relatively leisurely pace and thereby avoid crowding too much cities and things to do all at once"

then don't try and 'do' both countries in 20 days.

either one or the other.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,758 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

New Zealand is a separate country and you should post your query there, too in due course.

However, I would suggest initially reading through the Australia Trip Reports (under FAQs) and perhaps purchasing a quality Travel Guide for each country and doing some research.

You can get a very good idea of what is on offer here via the official Tourism Australia web site http://www.australia.com/

The time of year you intend to visit will also impact on your plans.

Perhaps do a some research for yourself and then get back to the fora with more specific questions. The investigating and planning is half the fun. Remember we are not travel agents....

Edited: 04 July 2013, 00:10
Oz
Level Contributor
13,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Hi,

I can only agree with the advice of lien and PerthiteOz.

With such a short time frame you have just enough time to visit some of the icons of the South Island of NZ or maybe Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne in Australia.

Why choose Australia or NZ anyway? What you have identified as your interests may be better served by London, Paris and Amsterdam with far less travel involved.

Cheers,

Cairo
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Thank you OZRCFLYER. Appreciate your advice.

I have already been to London, Paris and Amsterdam and traveled all of Europe extensively. I would like to visit somehwere different from the honeymoon. Dont have to go everywhere and see everything....would just get a flavour of the the town and its people for a few days and move on to the next.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,716 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

There are places I haven't been and I don't have any particular wish to go, while there are other places I haven't visited and they do appeal to me. Something more than 'I haven't been there' would help us to help you plan the itinerary that suits you best, especially for such a memorable trip. I see you haven't posted on the NZ forum so does that mean you have decided to limit your trip to Australia?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,480 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

I think the replies are trying to say politely that your plan is over ambitious and you will see the inside of many airports and not the cities you are coming to "experience" .

Have you checked out the great section of FAQ?

Like many of the contributors, I have been all over the place which h is why i think that you really need to narrow it down .

australia is nothing like Europe- in terms of physical size -Brisbane- Sydney is 1000kms. Sydney- melb- about 900km. Sydney to cairns 3 hrs flight time.

Most of the uniqueness of Australia you need to consider all lay outside of the typical cityscape.

Cairo
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

MacKnee... I thought my question clearly describes what kind of activities i am interested in... not sure what i else i should say to further clarify the intentions of my trip.... is there anything in particular that would help people in forums provide more constructive feedback?

Of course i will do all the required research and planning...that's half of the fun....but im at the information gathering stage and would like to narrow my choices based on the forum replies...

In the near future, I won’t be able to afford more than 20 days of holiday per year….. I’m constrained by that and since I’m going all the way to Oceania from the Middle East….i would like to get a sneak peak of NZ as well.

I am very much interested in the subtle cultural and geographic differences between nearby cities…

The feedback I am getting is don’t go to Australia and NZ if you only have 20 days to spare.

Cairo
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Aren't there geographically proximate cities that are worth and would make sense to visit within the 20 days time constraint?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

>>don’t go to Australia and NZ if you only have 20 days to spare.<< You're reding this correctly, but slightly misinterpreting it, I think. The key word in that sentence is "and"- "don’t go to Australia AND NZ if you only have 20 days to spare" What everyone is trying to say is, realistically you should choose Australia OR New Zealand. In Australia, "nearby" cities are still hundreds of kilometres apart.

Depending on the time of year you could visit, say, Sydney, Melbourne and the GBR (as long as it's not cyclone season), or Sydney, Melbourne, and a little time in Tasmania, or a number of other variants, but you really don't have time to enjoy any of those places AND fly across to New Zealand as well.

Edited: 04 July 2013, 17:41
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which cities to visit in Australia and NZ in 20 days?

Hi rentbee

Your outline of the sort of trip you want and the questions you need to answer is a good start. The difficilty i have in trying to help you is "where do I start?" the criteria do not really help us narrow down locations to send you. Any of the cities in either country would satisfy the criteria. However there are a couple of important things i think we can help with.

In Australia flying is usually the easiest fastest and cost effective way to get between cities if it is a big city based trip you want. Many people choose to take a road trip as part of their time here because Australias wide open spaces is one of the attractions of visiting but I have the impression from your original post that this isnt really your style.

In NZ road trips are the norm because the abundance of spectacular scenic drives is a major drawcard. As is often said in NZ it is as much about the getting there as the destination. NZ is also logistically tricky due to its geography making it difficult to see the major sights at a leisurely pace in a short time. Hence the comments about choosing either one country or the other.

Some of your desired activities considered individually would lead us to recommend places not compatible with Taking a short day trip from a big city base. It is generally recommended not to just stick to cities in Aus OR NZ. So my question for you is what is your budget like? Is money no object? What is driving your desire to base in cities? Is it the perceived service levels or just that you prefer cities in general and can only tolerate short bursts of exploring natural places? While Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world most Australians sense of identity has a very strong "bush" element so we tend to struggle with the idea that you might not want to get out into "the bush" much.