We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help me plan my itinery

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Please help me plan my itinery

We will be making our first trip to Sydney with 2teenagers and a child. Please help me plan /give suggestions for the 9days that we will be in Sydney..

.4/5days in the city maybe..then rent a car to drive and stay out of the city.. . but not sure where.thanks for your suggestions,in advance..!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Lots more info please so that we can provide suggestions that are useful to you. What are you interested in, what sort of experiences do you enjoy when holidaying, what do you know about this part of the world and what are your expectations, ages/genders of children, month of travel for seasonal considerations, budget, etc, etc?????

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Please let us know your interests as mentioned by Macknee...

You have many options available to you but we need to know your interests before giving suggestions.

ie.. Blue Mountains / Hunter Valley / Jervis Bay / Canberra

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

So sorry we left those info out!..We are interested in parks and beaches since its summer time in December.We wil be there early December.However,we are not keen to go Hunter Valley/wine tasting so probably wil leave that out..unless you think that theres something we shouldnt miss over there!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

I'm sort of thinking maybe down the coast via Jervis Bay, then continuing down to Batemans Bay, then inland to Canberra, then back up north to the Blue Mountains, and back to Sydney.

But for parks in Canberra earlier in spring is better, they're quite a highlight and an attraction then. By December it's all just another park and anywhere you go will have those.

It has occurred to me, perhaps you meant 'national parks'?

I know the Blue Mountains doesn't match anything specific you said but it is very scenic and makes sense to include if you are driving back to Sydney from that direction. And if you did mean to say 'national parks' then that's definitely an idea.

Beaches in summer, does that mean you want to go swimming?

Anything else you can think of? I mean you picked the region for some reason, what are you expecting and hoping to see? Or is just spending some time on the beach the main thing? (I suppose I think of it more in terms of locals relaxing at the beach and overseas visitors wanting to see something of the foreign country they are visiting.)

Btw how old is the child? Keep in mind our child seatbelt laws.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Thanks again for quick response.After looking through TA, Blue mountains, Leura and Katoomba, waterfalls and the Caves are probably what we would want to see. Is making our base at Blue Mountains for 2 or 3nights a good choice?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

The mountains, well that's completely contrary, what happened to the beaches you expressed an interest in? Or "after looking through TA" are you going by popular vote, because there's more discussion about the Blue Mountains it must be the 'must do' so you must do it? In which case I don't understand why ask the forum? The so-called must do's are typically in the FAQ's, we are here for the tailored personalised questions, and when someone doesn't do any preliminary research and then contradicts what it is that they want it doesn't help us to help them.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,297 posts
1,478 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Hi,

Why not do both Blue Mountains & Jervis Bay that way you will get to explore two different regions. Consider this itinerary.

SYD - BLUE MTNS - Day one / overnight

Day two - explore more of BMTS. Afternoon drive down to Huskisson or Hyams Beach (Jervis Bay)

262 km, 3 hours 17 mins - stay overnight.

Day Three - explore Jervis Bay - drive back to Sydney via The Grand Pacific Drive. The drive winds through small towns, coastal rainforests, past sheer cliffs and offers wonderful views of the Pacific Ocean, beautiful beaches and rock pools. or head straight back on Route 1 - approx. 2.5hrs.

http://www.grandpacificdrive.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Thanks so much,Ellemay for your suggestions..wil probably do that.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,224 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

Opportunity missed, I'm a baaaad DE, I probably should have simply told you Canberra is a "must do" instead of trying to ask you questions :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,399 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Please help me plan my itinery

LOL MacKnee, you should quietly sneak it into the FAQ's... Must Do's in Australia - Canberra.

Yes in this particular case, I think you would have had a taker if you plonked an itinerary, rather than trying to tailor something custom for them