We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Carry On

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
Qantas Carry On

I'm flying Qantas from LA to Carins...can I bring my carry on luggage PLUS a backpack on the Qantas flight?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,516 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas Carry On

Depends on the sizes of each:

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,701 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas Carry On

Are you asking if you can carry both those pieces on-board and you are travelling economy? Then I presume you have read the bit that says << 1 piece >> You could probably carry 1 bag plus an overcoat or a handbag or a book etc but a backpack?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas Carry On

able, the op is from the USA.

they get away with things like that on their domestic aircraft despite what the regs say.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
16,124 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas Carry On

And I thought this was going to be a thread about Sid James on Qantas.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas Carry On

LOL aynat.

on second thoughts maybe the backpack is not one of those that we think of immediately (the ones containing the kitchen sink) but one of those small dinky designer type numbers.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,131 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas Carry On

Be prepared to hold the backpack on your lap or on the floor in front of your feet. On full flights they will enforce the 1 piece hand luggage only in the overheads.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas Carry On

It really comes down to the size of your backpack ??? If its just a small one then you will be okay .. it also depends on the size of your carry on bag ??

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas Carry On

Generally it's one regulation size carry on in the overhead bin and one personal bag (think handbag) sized bag that must go under the seat in front of you. If the flight is full they will enforce this.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas Carry On

Remember QF allow 2 x 23 kg bags per passenger free as checked baggage from the US. Why would you need to have TWO carry on bags? How much stuff does one person need on a 14 hour flight?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas Carry On

Eva,

they are scared they will lose their luggage.

on a recent flight from Berlin-Moscow the 6 people behind at 12 large carryons between them and took up the entire OH space for the first 5 rows...

Having just spent 2 weeks without clothes I am now adopting a much larger carryon than just my handbag, and change of underwear...