We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Travel in AUS

Nashville...
2 posts
Save Topic
Solo Travel in AUS

Hi all,

First time posting on a forum! I am interested in traveling to Australia in December 13/January 14 and will most likely be traveling alone. I am in my late 20'a and looking to see the sites, do some cool activities and experience the nightlife! Has anyone had a great experience with a group travel site like Contiki? I am thinking about booking one through them but it seems pretty expensive. Please let me know if you have suggestions!

Thanks!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,389 posts
2,745 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

Forego the site!

Elect a great hotel in the Circular Quay.

The concierge shall enlighten you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

if only we knew what the goal of Savatills random posts was. Maybe there is a prize when we work it out ? Maybe its haiku ??

Colleen thats a high peak time of year you have selected. It will be hot in most regions and tropical wet in the far north regions. And it will be pricey as its school holidays for Australians.

As you have posted in the main Australia forum - do you have an idea of where exactly you want to start or see ? East coast ? west coast ? the middle ?

What interests you ? Nature ? country ? cities ? beaches ? wildlife ?

If you have a look over at the top right of this post you will see a Top Questions list. Have a look at that list and the links and that might get you started with narrowing down what you fancy seeing and the main states/cities/towns you want to experience.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,121 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

Re Savantill - begins with "T' & ends with 'l' me thinks!

Colleen - I agree with perfectlyperth - we need to know a little more about you to be able to help you. Many solo travellers visit Australia & do so without a tour. Day tours can be done from various destinations. YHA Australia offer passes with Greyhound buses as well as short tours www3.yha.com.au/travel-australia/travel-oz/ http://www3.yha.com.au/travel-australia/nsw/

As well as Contiki, Intrepid is another company offering tours (short & long) that appeal to younger & solo travellers http://tinyurl.com/q65bcc8

Edited: 18 July 2013, 08:45
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,694 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

Haiku :-)

I was thinking is it a question of the OP wanting to travel with a bunch of like-minded people and the details of what to sightsee is somewhat secondary, or is it that the OP wants to sightsee certain things as yet unspecified and it's the reassurance of an organised tour, having everything organised for you by the people who 'know', that appeals?

As for the time of year, is it the perception that our 'summer' is the best time to visit, or is it the time the OP has available to take leave, or is it a specific desire to visit for NYE, etc?

Nashville...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice so far. I guess I don't really know where to go or what to do yet, but want to make sure I'm safe and have fun people to travel with! It's too bad that this is tourist high season, but it's the only time of year I can go as it will be in between me graduating and starting work. I will definitely do some additional research, but if you have any "must sees" I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,978 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

I think that you need to start with some research as you will not get many replies if your question is vague.

Your must sees will be different to mine and will depend on the weather too. Dont let that deter you , as another post has suggested go back to the trips sections and check it out.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

also look thru this site:

www.australia.com

8. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 July 2013, 10:05
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
1,390 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

Maybe also consider joining up the YHA as it has heaps of hostels & activities available for your age group.

http://www3.yha.com.au/

Also look into the Backpacking websites which will give you some excellent ideas.

http://www.ozbackpackertours.com.au/

www.backpackingaround.com/travel_tips.htm

atlanta
Level Contributor
42 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Solo Travel in AUS

i will be sailing to Sydney in Sept to write about mature solo travel, several of the above suggestions are very helpful.....i didnt consider that the xmas season would add to my costs.... Now i shall research apt rentals as an alternative...