We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

NYC
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

Hello..

After 18 days in NZ I can go back to Auckland from Nov 29th til Dec 2nd or I can go to Melbourne or Brisbane for the weekend then fly from there home. I am leaning more towards Melbourne because I can get a direct flight there early on the 29th or late on the 28th.

Questions for the forum.. Is this a good amount of time in Melbourne and I have done zero research and little budget for those last few days, is it even feasible to think I can do Melbourne for these days/nights inexpensive, upfront I am doing Sydney for 4 days and it's definitely expensive.. Lastly should I consider somewhere else in Australia?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
NYC
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

And if I do Melbourne should I get there 11pm on 28th or just wait til morning and arrive at 9am

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
NYC
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

And it looks like I could fly direct to Adelaide as well

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

I live in Brisbane but would recommend Melbourne. There is lots to see there and the public transport system is quite good.

I would also fly in the evening before so you wake up there and are ready to go. Arriving in Melbourne at that time of night is not a problem.

Edited: 28 July 2013, 00:23
Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

There is plenty to see & do around Auckland for that amount of time IF you haven't already spent a lot of time there. Otherwise I would agree with Buck - take the night flight to Melbourne.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
NYC
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

Thanks for the responses, yes I was considering staying in NZ but figure this puts me a couple of hours closer in flying for the big trip home and I get to see another place. I am flying from Christ Church to Auckland if I go just figured I could fly from there back to OZ.. So Melbourne is the best choice of the 3 (Adelaide and Brisbane being the other 2 OZ choices)? I also don't mind going to one of them and driving a day or two.. I just want a couple of days to relax after like 18 days of adventures but also have a budget to consider

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

I lived in Melbourne and I recommend it over Brisbane and Adelaide. Both are less lively and are boring on weeknights. Melb has great food, great bars, good transit system, the cbd/downtown is very compact and easy to get around. Melb has free sightseeing shuttles (one is a tram/streetcar, the other is a bus which travels in and around the city) which would easily cost $30/day in other cities.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
NYC
Level Contributor
133 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

Ok so Melbourne seems to be the consensus now I just have to see if it's affordable

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,016 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

Doesn't matter which city you choose ... prices and accommodation will be similar. The point Heather made about transport costs is debatable. The free tram in Melbourne only goes around the city, if you want to use public transport to go anywhere else you have to purchase a MYKY card (MYKI?) ... and it's outrageously expensive for just a few days.

Melbourne is a great city, it's like being in Europe with a better range of food and coffee.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,678 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

Another vote for Melbourne especially if you have a direct flight home.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,977 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne or Brisbane thoughts

..............."and it's outrageously expensive for just a few days..............." The op is looking at coming from the 29 Nov - 2 Dec. That's a weekend. MYKI is capped at $3.50 per adult per day on all forms of transport. In other words, you can travel from one end of Melbourne to the other as many times as you want on tram, train or and bus. A MYKI card can be purchased for $6 and then with a $7 top up, you can travel all weekend on all forms of public transport. That is a total cost of $13 for all weekend travel. How could you say that this is outrageously expensive for just a few days?

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia