We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear at the month of August

malaysia
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
What to wear at the month of August

Hi everyone

I will be traveling to Melbourne (8/8-10/8) and Sydney (11/8-13/8) with 2 kids (4 & 10) and my mom (60 yrs old)

Notice is winter there but I check on forecast the temp is ard 13c to 19c, seems not too cold. Im now wondering what clothing to bring cos I was told very very cold there and a winter down jacket is needed.

Anyone can advise as I have kids and elderly with me on the trip

Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,345 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear at the month of August

Keep a check on the weather www.bom.gov.au

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,016 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear at the month of August

I am surprised someone from the tropics would not find teen temps cold. You will certainly need something over your shirts and if it is windy it feels colder and a warm hat is useful.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear at the month of August

August winds can be really cold, if your Sydney plans include a visit to the Blue Mountains do make sure you have enough warm clothes (coat - does not have to be down, gloves, scarf & hat) particularly for the kids - it can be freezing up there and in the late afternoon when the sun gets low/sets, the temperature drops very quickly.

Daytime temps in the range you quote are normal but night times it will drop considerably - I live in the north west suburbs and we regularly get frost in August (that means temps down to zero)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,776 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear at the month of August

Just because the temperature is predicted to make 18 degrees, doesn't mean that it actually feels like 18 if it gets there. As a matter of interest, perhaps check out the "Apparent" temperatures for a few days on the BOM site sggested in #1 ( www.bom.gov.au) , you'll see what I mean...

FWIW I would be taking a coat with me to Melb if I was visiting in August...

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,021 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear at the month of August

I'd probably be packing the thermal underwear as well, Perthite :-)

Edited: 28 July 2013, 04:46
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,833 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear at the month of August

me too! ... and I wore it regularly when I lived in the Blue Mountains - and so did my kids

7. Re: What to wear at the month of August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:18