We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Algard, Norway
13 posts
Save Topic
Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Hi!

Me, my boyfriend and a friend have booked planetickets to Perth, arriving 7th of December and are going home from Sydney 5th of January. Everything between these dates are open.

We are interrested in animals, nature, amusement parks, hiking, relaxing places. We want to see what Australia is about. We are not that interrested in history, art, wine.

We are considering taking plane from Perth (or other places on the west coast) to Adelaide since the distance are a bit to long.

We have soo many questions and are very unsure how to spend the time in the best way. Have talked about staying in Perth, Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane and taking daytrips from here. But would it be better to stay other places than the big cities?

Would it be best to rent apartments or book hotels?

How many days in each place? Is it better to stay longer on each place and take daytrips or move a little bit each day?

Do anyone have some advice/tips for us?? It would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance

Erna

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

It will be very hot then and also prime tourist season so you really need to firm this up ASAP and book some accommodation, especially in Perth which has a very tight accommodation market at the best of times.

Algard, Norway
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Do you have any advice on what type of accommodation that would be best for us in this area? And what place would be best? I guess we will spend more time around Perth, than in the city. And we will need two rooms, so I guess it will be cheaper with an apartment, than a hotel. Are now thinking about staying here between 5-6 days.

Suggestions on daytrips in this area would be highly appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
159 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

When we were in Perth, we took the ferry from Fremantle to Rottnest Island which was a lovely day out.

For your trip in general, I would definitely recommend Alice Springs - very different scenery and culture to the coastal cities of Australia.

There is a lot to do in some of the cities in Australia and they are nice and relaxed to stay in (compared to Europe) but some things considered as 'day trips' are quite a bit further distance-wise than here in Europe, so stopping overnight can be a good option.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,476 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

I wouldn't focus on just the cities, especially given your stated interests.

There are many, many options but using the places you mentioned how about something like this -

- spend a few days in Perth

- fly to Adelaide

- visit Kangaroo Is if you have time (definitely recommended)

- hire a car and drive to Melb, including the Great Ocean Rd

- fly to Brisbane

- fly to Sydney

- home

As mentioned previously this is peak season in the south of the country so accommodation could be a problem if you don't book ahead.

Is your inclusion of Brisbane because you are interested in theme parks?

If not I would skip Brisbane and substitute somewhere like Tasmania, Uluru or the Great Barrier Reef.

Enjoy :)

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,364 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Coming from Norway to Aus in December/January, wherever you book make sure you have air conditioning, you will encounter mid 30c temperatures and possibly 40c on some days. And as YorkFoodie has advised you'll need firm up your trip, select your destinations, book your internal flights, accommodation and car hire.

Tasmania's is a great option, much cooler that time of the year, around the low 20'sc, usually nice and clear, but still busy, especially after Christmas.

I like ShazDwn's itinerary, just take out Brisbane and slot in Tasmania between Melbourne and Sydney.

I've never been to Perth (so day trips, I'll leave to the experts to advise), but you should have at least a 5 days there, 3 days on Kangaroo Island/Adelaide, allow 4 days between Adelaide and Melbourne via GOR, 5 days in Melbourne, 7 days for Tasmania, and 4 days in Sydney, there about anyway, rough idea, you will need to juggle some places.

Hope this helps, when you decide where to go, let us know and we will be able to assist you further.

Safe travels - Robert

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Before you leave Western Australia, I would urge you to spend at least three days to a week exploring the south west. Have a look at the WA tourism website and through its link to regional tourist sites to see what WA's south west has to offer, I think you'll agree it's worth spending some time there.

westernaustralia.com/au/Pages/Welcome_to_Wes…

Since you say you need two rooms, apartments would be the way to go, or holiday houses or even cabins in Caravan parks (which are relatively cheaper). You could try AirBnB which many posters here have found a good experience, I would simply caution you to choose your host carefully (as we did in Hong Kong, and had a great time).

Algard, Norway
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Yes, It looks like it can be best to stay overnight if we want to look around. In Perth Area, is it better to stay in Fremantle (or other places) instead of Perth? We are not sure if we need car here or not. Maybe it would be best to stay here a couple of days and then drive somewhere else.

We would definitely consider Tasmania and Kangaroo Island. One of the reasons we were thinking about Brisbane is the Gold Coast area. But havent't checked up much about this area. I understand that much of this place is the parks and beaches. Are the area north of Sydney not worth a visit (except Great Barrier Reef). We are not info surfing,snorkeling, but would like to see nice beach towns, exciting nature and relax.

Are there any exciting rollercoaster parks that you can recommend somwhere else in the country? Or other places that can give us som exhilaration like gokart, ATV

Very thankful for all help so far!

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,567 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Well the southwest has a lot of nice beaches, exciting nature and relax. Personally I prefer Fremantle to stay in but it depends on where you want to visit and what you want to do. Some places are accessible with public transport, others not so much. For the southwest you really need a car.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,215 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Hi,

Are you planning to hire a car at any of your destinations to get around. ?

Itinerary suggestion for 31 days.

Perth - 5 days - City / Fremantle / Rottnest Island or Perth 2 days - fly to Esperance.- 3 days.

Adelaide - 2 days - city

Kangaroo Island - 3 days - hire a car drive around the island. Read my TR below for ideas.

Tasmania - 5 days - see Hobart / Cradle Mountain - fly Hobart to Coolangatta (Gold Coast).

Gold Coast / Byron Bay / Brisbane / Noosa - 10 days - pick up car drive down to Byron Bay - stay 3 days - drive up to Broadbeach or Surfers Paradise - stay 2 nights - Theme Parks.

Drive Gold Coast to Noosa (Sunshine Coast ) - 4 nights

Drive Noosa to Brisbane - stay 2 nights

Sydney - 5 days

I suggest hiring a car in Perth / Kangaroo Island / Tasmania / & the Gold Coast. You don't need a car in Sydney.

For additional info on Perth -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18830-Getting_…

For Esperance -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i23867-Getting_…

For Hobart -

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20250-Getting_…

For Kangaroo Island

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k3070…

Happy planning !

Algard, Norway
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! What to do - 1 month between Perth and Sydney

Thank you all for many good advices. it's hard to set up a travel plan. Too many choices. But I guess it would be a nice trip no matter what.

Yes, we were thinking about having a car at each place (except Sydney in the end) and drive around. Maybe use public transport when we are going into the big cities. It depends on where we are staying at each place. I guess its a lot cheaper to stay outside of the cities.

Do you think it's worth to spend a couple of days between Adelaide and Melbourne? Which places should be stop do you think? Were thinking about Robe, Port Fairy, Lorne. Any suggertions? Is it worth it?

Are there any good thrill ride parks beside those in the Brisbane Area?