We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peter Pan Travel

ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Peter Pan Travel

I am looking for information on Peter Pan Travel company, we are lookin in to traveling Australia in Dec and someone recommened Peter Pan travel. Has any one used them before???

23 replies to this topic
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Peter Pan Travel

I would avoid using Peter Pans. There are plenty of different options once you get to Australia so I would definitely shop around.

I tried to make a complaint regarding two trips I had booked through them, and it took literally months and months of contacting them before they finally offered me $30 AUD refund; I had spent over $1000 AUD on trips through them.

Exeter, England...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Peter Pan Travel

Having spent two summers as a student working in the customer relations department of a holiday company, I know the damaging effect a poor review can have on a company's reputation so it is not without forethought that I have chosen to write this review.

Peter Pan Travel- perhaps the childish name is enough to steer most customers away. Unfortunately, this was not the case for my friend and I though we were later to wish it had.

We booked through Peter Pan because it allowed us to essentially customise our own tour to suit our needs and the time frame we were looking to travel in. So far so good! We were looking to travel from Sydney to Cairns over a period of just under 3 weeks: a whistle stop tour.

Alas having booked the trip and parted with over 2000 australian dollars of our hard earned cash, within a week we were starting to worry.

I received an email to say that our bus running from surfers paradise to rainbow beach was no longer running. As a result we would have to 'catch a train' up to Brisbane and connect with our bus from there. Now the reason we had booked through an agency and not sorted the trip ourselves was so that problems like this did not occur. Having to get a train at our own expense at 6 in the morning to get to the bus stop in Brisbane was hardly our idea of a relaxed travelling experience. Aside from the fact we didn't know the area so who knew how far it would be from the hostel to the train station and from the Brisbane train station to the bus port. Unfortunately, 'Peter' already had our money so we didn't have much choice. We were starting to think we should have booked through a reputable company like STA travel on one of their slightly more expensive but infinitely more reliable tours. Anyway, 3 long and fairly heated phone calls later with a chap speaking broken English, we managed to establish that there was in fact another greyhound leaving 30 minutes later and going to Brisbane that we could get on to connect with our bus to rainbow beach. Why this could not have been established for us in the first place and took me berating the staff at Peter Pan to work out is beyond me! Credit where credit is due, the chap I spoke to went out of his way to help. As he pointed out, there is little Peter Pan can do if the companies they subcontract to choose to change the dates of their buses. Whilst, I agreed with this, I felt as a travel agent they had more of a role to play than simply to say 'catch a train or something'. Anyway, fortunately this problem had been resolved and our confidence, whilst undermined temporarily, was somewhat restored!

The issue that most wound us up took place when we were staying at Surfers Paradise. We wanted to take a bus down to Byron Bay for a day trip. We went into the store initially just to find out roughly how much this would cost. We were told there was a bus that we could catch the following morning at 10am (31/12/2014) for $26. We said this sounded good and we would think about it and confirm in the afternoon. So we went into the store in the afternoon keen to book the trip and spoke to a different agent who said there was a bus but it left at 11am. We asked him to double check because his colleague had told us it was at 10am. Needless to say, he double checked and confirmed it was at 11am and quite rudely suggested we were probably getting confused with the different time zones between Queensland and New South Wales (spelt New South Whales in the store- another source of humorous mockery). The following day, we arrived at 10.45 ready for our bus only to be told by the bus company agent that there was no bus at 11 and the only one leaving that day had left at 10. We were gutted and angry. He then checked our ticket and informed us that we were booked onto a bus leaving the following year 31/12/2015. Perhaps we should have checked this but having been so confidently told by the chap working in Peter Pan that it left at 11, we had not done so. Anyway, we were very fortunate because a different company the Byron bus shuttle had a couple of spare spaces and we frantically jumped on board paying the $30 pp fee knowing this was our best chance of getting a decent day's worth of time in Byron Bay. In our rushed state, we had to pay cash in hand and did not receive any form of ticket or receipt. At the time, we assumed this would not be a problem because Peter Pan would surely recognise their negligence and cover the additional $4 per person. How wrong we were! We had a great day in Byron Bay enjoying the New Years celebrations and returned to Peter Pan in surfers paradise the next day to take up our issue. It was shut. We were leaving early on the 2nd so had no choice but to sort the issue when we got to Rainbow Beach. The staff there were very sympathetic and arranged for me to get in touch with the agent who had made the mistake. To cut a long story short, several emails later and I was left fuming. It was against company principals to refund tickets without any evidence of their purchase. There was no token of goodwill gesture. No sympathy for the trouble we had undergone due to their company's mistake. No sense of regret at the mistake in the first place. Just professional diligence that said they could only refund the original ticket's value of $26! Shame there was no professional diligence when booking the ticket's in the first place! Quite apart from the fact it was only $4 each so hardly an amount that was going to break the bank.

Both these incidents I will concede are isolated in their nature and perhaps not a fair reflection of the company a a whole. However, I feel the unprofessional manner in which both were dealt with highlights the unsatisfactory service this company provides. I will certainly not be using them again.

Another minor gripe, though not something on which you could heavily criticise the company, occurred at Airlie Beach prior to our trip round the Whitsunday Islands. Peter Pan thoughtfully offers a free bag to take onto the Whitsundays Islands boats because you're not allowed bags with zips! (Apparently bed bugs lay their eggs in zips) This should have been very thoughtful but the handles on both my friend's bag and mine broke within 400 meters of leaving Peter Pan which meant we had about a mile walk with bags with no handles. Not the end of the world by any means but perhaps another indication of the cheap nature of this company.

Yes our trip up the East Coast of Australia was excellent. However, I feel Peter Pan did little to enhance the experience. In hindsight, a little extra effort on our part could have put together just as good a trip without having to pay the commission that goes to Peter Pan.

For those looking to do this, Greyhound was an excellent coach company. The wifi is generally good, seats comfortable and USB chargers a useful extra.

True Blue Sailing is a great company to use for the Whitsundays.

Rainbow Beach Adventure Company or Dingos are both very good options for Fraser Island.

All of this I hope might help anyone planning a similar trip to the one we did. It may well save you money but it will also hopefully take out the hassle of Peter Pan, the useless middle man! Alternatively, pay the extra for a tour with STA travel or someone similar. Having not done it myself, I can only go on what others have said to me but apparently it is very well organised and the coach drivers are extremely informative respecting Australian history. I'm impressed if you managed to read this far but if you did, I hope this helps with any decisions for your future trip. Have a great time!

Andrew

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Peter Pan Travel

I have had a really disappointing service from Peterpan online. Communication was poor to begin with, however at present my emails are being ignored. Bad weather meant trips were cancelled and then I was ill. They took 50% then each company took 10% and there was no refund for accommodation. As if this wasn't bad enough, over a month later I'm still awaiting my refund and my emails are being ignored. I asked for an invoice to claim from my insurance which has been ignored and although Peterpan assured me they have cancelled the remainder of my trip, I am STILL receiving daily calls from excursions asking if I am attending. DO NOT BOOK poor service.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Peter Pan Travel

Hi,

Wendy tells me she had excellent service.

Cheers,

Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Peter Pan Travel

Ok I was just about to book with peter Pans, as recommended by a friend in Oz, put off now!!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Peter Pan Travel

Hi there in Australia now and peterpans company quoted me 800 aus dollars for New Zealand is this good ? Please get back to me thanks someone

Abu Dhabi, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Peter Pan Travel

This email has been sent to them many times with no response...Do Not book.with them!!!! Myfriend I am travelling with emailed your website enquiries but yet to receive a response after quite some time so I am sending it again on here,expecting a response....

To whom this may concern,

I am writing this email to make a complaint about your peterpans store in Byron Bay.

I am currently travelling the east coast and when attending cheeky monkeys night club me and a friend won one ticket for a free ticket to the outback. At the time we were very excited however the next day we were told we had to book everything that day...We came back tiered off a trip and were told we had to book everything there and then. Cat was in charge of dealing with it and went straight into booking our flights. With me she said it was cheaper instead of flying Cairns (where I finished my East Coast trip) to Urluru that I get a flight to Sydney from cairns then to Urluru. My friend already had her flight to Sydney and told me to do the same. However it isn't more expensive and has just caused more inconvenience. Secondly we both felt like we were pushed into doing this.. Neither of us have much money as it's expensive travelling the eastcoast and we felt as if we were tricked into it. We had no idea about the flight prices we had no time to look into it. Also Cat cleverly did every transaction separately and didn't say what cost they would be and managed to rack up $1700 out of us from a free trip! We had no idea it would be this expensive or we would have saved it for another time, also would have booked ourselves as she charged us a lot more!! After we felt completely taken for a ride! I understand most travel agencies can be pushy but this was ridiculous she had lured us into a false friendship for the two days pervious and we were nievely trusting of her. We both have travelled a lot and use different travel companies but now very distrusting of Peter pans and this is the first and last time I will be using your company.

Regards,

Anya Horey

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Peter Pan Travel

I had the worst experience with them,I literally paid them around 1000 aid, they were all print in their replies till the payment was made ,once I made the payment,I havent heard from them!I sent them 5 emails, no reply what so ever!

They said my bus tomorrow is at 7 am,but no ticket and they said they booked hostel,don't know what hotel it is or anything,I will be going to trading standards! This is not a business is run!

Edinburgh, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Peter Pan Travel

I had the worst experience with them,I literally paid them around 1000 AUD they are all quick in their replies till the payment was made ,once I made the payment,I havent heard from them!I sent them 5 emails, no reply what so ever!

They said my bus tomorrow is at 7 am,but no ticket and they said they booked hostel,don't know what hotel it is or anything,I will be going to trading standards! This is not a business is run!

Edited: 09 April 2016, 17:53
Hertford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Peter Pan Travel

yes they are brilliant

Reply to: Peter Pan Travel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted