We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

I do not have time constraints. Happy to use sea frieght but want something affordable. It's impossible to find.

Probably want to post a box with about 4-5kg worth of clothes.

I am living in Italy for a couple of months, and when summer turns to winter I will need to buy winter clothes and send my summer ones home. I will later fly to other cold european countries and need to keep within the weight limit for these flights. The only solution is to send all my summer clothes back home but I don't know how I can do this cheaply. I don't care how long it takes to get there.

Any advice is appreciated.

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

Have you had a look at the normal postal service? I sent 3 boxes from Ireland to Australia doing this as it was the cheapest way to do it back then.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

Sending your clothes via mail is probably the easiest way. It may not be the cheapest, but is less hassle than sending goods via sea freight. 1 small box via sea freight is not a cost effective method of transport. You will probably find it will be much cheaper to divide your clothes into small, 1kg bundles and send them via mail. Can you obtain a quote from the Italian mail system? Here is some info I found on Google: poste.it/en/…int_swift_parcel_post.shtml

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

"Have you had a look at the normal postal service? I sent 3 boxes from Ireland to Australia doing this as it was the cheapest way to do it back then."

Agree with this. I have sent boxes of clothes and souvenirs from London, Brussels and Amsterdam back home to Melbourne and while I can't remember the actual cost, I did it all via local post offices and remember it being very reasonable in price (and the option I chose had it in Melbourne within a couple of weeks).

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

I'm in a similar situation but am wanting to know which country it would be cheapest to post excess baggage from back to Australia. We'll be in France, Germany, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia & Italy over the next few weeks. Is it cheaper to post things from any of those particular countries?

5. Re: Cheapest way to send excess baggage from Europe to Aus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2015, 06:16