We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

I have booked a holiday in November/December this year, which is covered by travel insurance. I've been told that I'm going to be made redundant from my job, probably around the end of September (not sure about the date, but the redundancy is definite). Fortunately my travel insurance covers me for redundancy, however I'd still like to go on my holiday, most of which is already paid for, so I'm thinking about changing the dates. My accommodation dates can be changed without any problem, and I think most of my flights can as well, but there are some flights and other incidents that I won't be able to change and thus will have to re-book at added expense. In the event of making a claim, would I be able to claim just for out-of-pocket expenses as a result of date changes due to redundancy, or should I cancel the whole thing, make a claim, and start again?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

That's something that only your insurance company can tell you with certainty. You should call them.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

I will do, but they aren't contactable at 6am ...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

eva is correct but FWIW I would say cancel the whole thing and start again.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

Yes, I hope the insurance company can help.

My experience with travel insurance companies is they won't give you an opinion of a claims assessment over the phone - their response is typically to lodge a claim and they will assess it.

So, I tend to agree with Perthite. Stick with the letter of the policy and don't try anything else unless you can get it in writing from the insurer.

5. Re: Trip Cancellation & Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2014, 05:19