We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Victoria
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Good afternoon every one,

I've been so grateful for some very wise advice given to me from my last topic I thought I'd give another forum post a go. My camper van rental has been chosen (thank you to all those who assisted!), my actual camp sites selected (thank you to those caravan parks who've been so accommodating) and now I need to roughly nut out my itinerary.

In theory, I would like to leave a bit of time each day just for random stops - as I do love a bit of exploration. I also love taking photos with my iPhone and will be blogging on a travel blog once I get around to getting that set up. So that's me - random, photo loving and writing enthusiast. What I would love from the TA is advice on secret spots not normally seen on the "average" tourist guide. If you don't want to share any tips here you're also welcome to PM me too :)

Below is my list of locations for the 2 week journey. Any advice on places not to be missed, or unusual, or charming, or whatever you think is worth seeing, would be greatly appreciated. I should mention to I am departing from the Melbourne CBD. Thank you! :)

NIGHT 1: ANGLESEA

NIGHT 2: APOLLO BAY

NIGHT 3: PORTLAND

NIGHT 4: ROBE

NIGHT 5: SECOND VALLEY

NIGHT 6: KANGAROO ISLAND

NIGHT 7: KANGAROO ISLAND

NIGHT 8: BRIGHTON (SA)

NIGHT 9: BRIGHTON (SA)

NIGHT 10: GAWLER

NIGHT 11: GLENELG

NIGHT 12: GLENELG

NIGHT 13: HALLS GAP

NIGHT 14: HALLS GAP

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Ok this spot is not exactly secret, but it is often overlooked - Wreck Beach in the Great Otway NP (along the Great Ocean Road). Beautiful spot and if you are there at low tide you can see an anchor wedged in the rock platform from an old shipwreck - makes for some interesting photos.

…vic.gov.au/explore/…wreck-beach

Victoria
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Legend! Added to Day 3's itinerary!

It looks gorgeous - thanks so much ShazDwn! :)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

if we gave away the secret spots and hidden treasures, then they wouldn't be secret spots and hidden treasures any more.

best to try to find your own.

;-)

Victoria
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Hi Lien,

Thanks so much for your helpful contribution! And by that I mean bumping the post back up!

Kind regards,

Kristyn.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,480 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Hi,

lien is very charitable. If we told you of the secret spots we would have to kill you according to the surfers code.

How about a lovely hamlet called Come By Chance if you deviate to central, western, northern NSW? Where you are headed I would say Burra!

Cheers

Edited: 12 August 2013, 07:15
Victoria
Level Contributor
22 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Hi Oz,

I've no doubt Lien is very charitable when the right phrase is used. Perhaps I should have titled it "Travellers Recommendations" - but it's tough when I know the obvious and the ones I can google in 10 seconds. I don't need those - I am hunting more "unique" little stops. Anyway.

Ha! I know what you mean re. surfer's code - I do live in Phillip Island!

No chance of a deviation, but thank you for the tip anyway.

Burra? Sounds intriguing. I will look into it.

Cheers,

Kristyn.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

My husband and I are travelling from Sydney along the coast stopping overnight at Eden, Philip Island, Woolsthorpe, Beechworth, Coom, before heading back to Sydney. I would love to hear of recommended places to stop for a break (breakfast, lunch or dinner) on our journey!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,389 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Hi Elske

Welcome to the forum. Just a tip, you are likely to get more replies if you start a new post rather than adding to an old one. You can do this by hitting the New Topic button at the top of the list of posts.

Good luck

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

Thanks first time so will start again.

Regards

Elske

10. Re: Road Trip: Secret Spots and Hidden Treasures!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2014, 07:19