We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

Hi - we will be going on our honeymoon to Austrailia and Fiji end of October. We will be splitting our time between Sydney & Melbourne. Which city has the best vineyards in its outskirts. I have been reading about the Hunter Valley & Yarra Valley. We are ideally looking for a region where we can spend 1 or 2 nights, indulge in beautiful local produce and artisinal cooking, and visit a beautiful vineyard. Any recommendations?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

The Hunter Valley unlike the Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula near Melbourne is not on the city outskirts. The HV is a good 2-3 hour drive from Sydney depending on the time of day and where u start in the city.

But all three are well worth visiting for wine and food.

the HV is warm climate, the Yarra and Mornington cool climate, so u have an emphasis on different grape varieties and wine styles.

other wine areas in NSW 'close' to Sydney and worth considering are Orange ( a hidden treasure for both wine and food) as well as Mudgee.

There are also official but smaller NSW regions close to Sydney in the Southern Highlands and the Shoalhaven.

The Canberra wine region is 3 hours to the south.

I have ties to the HV so am biased. Nothing like aged ( or indeed young) Hunter Semillon or an earthy Shiraz.

http://www.winecountry.com.au/

But you will not be disappointed with the Yarra or Mornington either.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 03:07
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

thanks so much for the reply. the Hunter Valley seems to be the most popular. Which area would you say has the best chefs, who use local produce and are inventive with styles similar to some of the chefs in restaurant scene in Napa Valley such as French Laundry. We really wouldn't mind the 2-3 hour drive as long as it's a scenic one. Just trying to see if we should do the winery excursion outside Sydney or Melbourne. Does the Hunter Valley have a better variety of boutiquey type hotels? I didn't find much when searching for accomdation in the Yarra Valley.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 03:28
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,404 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

Have a look on wotif to see what suits your budget. There are plenty of boutique style accommodation in the HV. ie.. The Tower Lodge

http://www.wotif.com/hotels/tower-lodge.html

others -

wotif.com/hotels/romantic-getaways-hunter-va…

wotif.com/hotels/australia-nsw-pokolbin-hote…

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,458 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

Well I am going to put in a vote for the Yarra Valley, apart from being a shorter drive I find the area more scenic and romantic than the Hunter (of course this could just be personal preference).

More info here to help in your decision making

http://www.visityarravalley.com.au/

Chateau Yering is meant to be gorgeous accommodation if you can afford it.

Edited: 13 August 2013, 09:15
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

Another area to consider that's even closer to Melbourne is the Macedon Ranges.

It's less than an hour's drive from the city. Lots of accommodation in and around Macedon, Mt Macedon, Woodend, Lancefield etc. and some wonderful boutique wineries.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

thanks so much for all the help. i have found upscale boutique accommodations in the Barrosa Valley! The restaurants and gourmet scene look lovely as well. Now I am feeling more conflicted since I know that's quite far.

Should we go Barrosa over Hunter or Yarra?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

There are 5 good wine regions within a couple of hours drive from Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is one of them. I actually prefer the Mornington Peninsula & Macedon Ranges regions, both of which have more to offer than just wine.

The Mornington Peninsula is also home to the Peninsula Hot Springs, which would be a lovely addition to a honeymoon. If you click on the Accommodation link, they have partnered with a few places to offer packages.

http://www.peninsulahotsprings.com/

Daylesford is near the Macedon Ranges & also has gorgeous accommodation & spa's. It's a very popular place for a romantic weekend away.

visitmelbourne.com/Activities-and-attraction…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,817 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

Errr you do realize the Barossa Valley's nearest city is Adelaide, I take it?

As you mentioned splitting your time between Sydney & Melbourne, I must admit a side trip to South Australia wouldn't have been my first choice for a winery on their "outskirts "

Lovely place though.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

If you do travel to Adelaide, the Barossa Valley is only an hour from the CBD, McLaren Vale is about 40 minutes from CBD and the Adelaide Hills region is 30-40 minutes drive from CBD and Clare Valley a couple of hours away. Penfolds Magill Estate is actually located in the outer suburbs of Adelaide, about 15 minutes from the CBD (for a price they let you sample the world famous Grange). But as previous posters have mentioned, while Adelaide would certainly tick all your boxes and we would welcome you here, it is nowhere near Melbourne or Sydney.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sydney or Melbourne outskirts for a vineyard visit

thanks so much everyone. i don't think we will be able to fit in the trip to Adelaide, even though the Barrosa Valley does look so amazing.

I guess right now we will be deciding between the Yara or Macedon outside Melbourne OR Hunter Valley outside Sydney.