We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free on domestic flights?

Townsville...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free on domestic flights?

Hi all,

Just checking as a few rules seem to have changed, I will be returning to Australia from KL on Friday with Malaysian airlines and was hoping to buy some duty free alcohol in KL but will then be flying to cairns with quantas leaving from the domestic airport , not sure if I will be able to take it on the second flight ? My luggage will go straight to cairns { as it is on one ticket } but I have to personally clear customs in Sydney before the cairns flight later in the day. Any help would be greatly appreciated . thanks in advance marianne

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,212 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

There are no carry-on liquids restrictions on domestic flights.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

Thanks YorkFoodie I thought as much just wanted to be sure.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

When you purchase duty free in KL, make sure you tell them you need to have it delivered to the gate or it will be confiscated at the second security screening.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

Thanks evemelb for the tip !

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,584 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

Are you sure your luggage will be checked through Sydney???

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

Luigi is right.

You will have to collect your luggage, clear immigration and customs and get to the domestic terminal at Sydney.

If you are on one ticket, Qantas will recheck your luggage immediately you enter the arrivals hall for the trip to Cairns.

At Sydney airport,you will need to change terminal buildings to get to Domestic, but again, Qantas will transfer you if you are on a single ticket.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 01:05
Townsville...
Level Contributor
75 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

now I am confused on the flight out we checked our bags in cairns and they were sent straight through didn't see them till arrival in Kl ? Thought it would be the same on return? flights are on one ticket but malaysian airlines to syd and quantas to cairns

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,860 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

Leaving the country does not require luggage searches or customs control ... it's only when coming in that happens.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,748 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

You will have to collect luggage on arrival in Sydney, take it through Customs. You can then check it on your QANTAS flight and leave it, then go to the QANTAS seamless transfer counter at the far end on the arrivals area after clearing Customs (can be a long walk) and catch the bus to the Domestic terminal.

Edited: 14 August 2013, 04:25
10. Re: Duty free on domestic flights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 06:20