We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

We are planning a family trip to Australia around Christmas 2013. We have Sydney on our list and also Cairns to visit the Great Barrier Reef and also Uluru. The trip is for about ten days and we don't want to include too much on our list. We've estimated about 3 nights in Sydney, 3 nights in Cairns which leaves us about 2 nights for Uluru and a night in Sydney for our return flight out. That should give us a feel for the urban/coastal and outback Australian experience. Any advice on our plan (what we should add to or subtract or substitute) and how we flesh it out would be appreciated.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,219 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

Tvarad, have you taken into account the amount of time flying between these places and the transfers from airport to you're accommodation as that will take up most of 3 days.

Also how the flights and transfers are scheduled as it is around the Christmas holidays if you are taking in Christmas day.

How to flesh it out as there won't be a great deal of time in each place would really depend on you're interests, so that would be helpful.

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

We are in our early stages of planning and consist of my brother's family with two teenage kids and myself. I know that it would take up the greater part of a day just traveling between the three places, so we were thinking of the must see's at each stop rather than taking time to explore as we have relatively little time in each place. In Sydney, a city tour/bridge climb and a drive around the scenic spots; in Cairns, a snorkel/dive trip and a tour of surrounding areas and in Uluru/Alice Springs, a guided tour of the rock and surrounding areas. We may be able to add a day or two if it is necessary.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

I think you could cut back Uluru to just one night ... and you probably need to do Uluru in the middle of your holiday. There are very limited flights to/from there so meeting up with an international flight in Sydney could be difficult unless it is late at night.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

>>In Sydney, a city tour/bridge climb and a drive around the scenic spots<<

I'm sorry but apart from bridge climb that is such a generic answer.

Do you in fact want to DO the bridge climb? You acknowledge you have "relatively little time in each place" so is that a priority given the length of time involved, as well as the high cost, arduousness and no personal cameras allowed. Perhaps you mean you want to SEE the bridge, to visit the bridge or photograph the bridge?

As for the rest, there is a hoho tourist bus (hop on hop off) which sounds like it would suit you (you certainly do not want to bother with trying to drive yourselves in Sydney). It would help if you had some idea of what you wanted to see though, have you had a look at the Top Questions? Information about the hoho bus is found there too.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

Just keep in mind to, we tend to close things down over Christmas. Plus from most of December until the end of January it's school holidays and prices go up

So when booking things please ask about that..

Please book things now or soon as even we Aussie are on the move.

Don't forget the sun screen cairns will be hot..

Have an awesome time

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

Be aware that Alice Springs is 450km away from Uluru - therefore ifyou only have a couple of days you will need to fly directly to Uluru (Ayers Rock Airport) and NOT Alice Spring Airport.

2 nights gives you one whole day and a couple of bits of days. This would allow you to comfortably explore Uluru and Kata Tjuta. I would recommend hiring a car and make sure you do the base walk (but early in the morning). Be aware that it will be HOT at that time of year so you may wish to limit your activities in the middle of the day and drinks lots and lots and lots of water.

If you had three nights you could add a trip to Kings Canyon to your plans.

Enjoy

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

able58, thanks for that valuable advice; we'll probably do just that because of time constraints. MacKnee, we do indeed want to do the bridge climb even though it is expensive but we'll limit it to my brother and myself as the others are not too keen on such stuff. We will do a private guided tour for a day (there are many, so any recommendations are welcome). We did the same in Cape Town recently and the guide took us to all the must see spots around the region, many of which were not on the tourist itinerary and it was just great. At Cairns the only thing we've settled on is a snorkel/dive tour to the reef. Melissa, thanks too for your advice. Because of my brother's job commitments, the only travel window we have is during the peak season.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,733 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

>>>We will do a private guided tour for a day<<<

Where? Sydney? No... Don't pay for a private tour guide. Sydney is an easy city to navigate and fairly small by world standards. HoHo bus, ferry ride and the rest through advice from the locals on here.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 07:05
9. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 07:33
Edited: 22 August 2013, 07:33
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip advice for 10 days in Australia during Christmas

Reposting

How are >>must see spots<< >>not on the tourist itinerary<< ?

It is contradictory and makes me wonder if we adequately understand when you said >>thinking of the must see's at each stop<< ? Sure, people have personal must see's which might not be big tourist attractions, but in the absence of more specific information from you we can only suggest what we know to be popular on most people's itineraries. If you intend to do a private tour then it would have been useful to specify that in your original post, and the tour guide could discuss with you what you want, though we mostly help independent travellers and I'm not sure if anyone has any ideas about private tour guides, and regarding Sydney I agree with KVE1005 anyway.