We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to spend money in Australia?

southampton
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to spend money in Australia?

I am planning a one month trip to South Australia in October. Can anyone tell me the best and cheapest way obtain currency when I am there? Many thanks.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,817 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

Use ATMs to obtain your Australian dollars. It's the easiest and most cost-effective way..

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

Yes just use your debit card in an ATM. I got charged £1.50 per withdrawal so tended to take out about $500 each time I needed to use it so I didn't have to pay too many £1.50's.

When it came to paying for something, if it was low enough I'd pay cash but if it was above $75/80 I'd use my credit card to save on the actual cash.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 21:05
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

You can withdraw money at the supermarket charge free with purchase. Simply buy a drink or some food supplies and the machine/ checkout operator will give you the option of "cash out" with your debit card.

Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

#3 I'm not sure that option is available for foreign debit cards. Normally a foreign debit card works the same as a credit card in another country, and when using EFTPOS facilities, you need to select the credit option when making purchases. The credit option does not have a 'cash withdrawal' facility at EFTPOS terminals.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,055 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

<<Normally a foreign debit card works the same as a credit card in another country,>> HUH?

I don't thinks so, unless Australia is special. We always use a debit card wherever we have been and I know of foreigners using theirs here.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

our american atm cards cant be used for EFPOS here, only ATMs

edit: well it's been a few years since we tried. may be things have changed.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 23:17
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,755 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

The best way to avoid ATM fees is to check with your bank and see if they have a Global Alliance partner bank in Australia. Eg Westpac in Australia is aligned with Bank of America. If you use the partner ATMs you won't be charged withdrawal fees, only the usual FX fees. Then you can take as little or as much as you want as often as you like.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,663 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

able58 - a friend was here from the UK in May - still could not use thier debit card to access their account via EFTPOS same as 2 years ago and 2 years before that...

OP - use ATMs & CCs.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

I know what Vicki S means. Our debit card has a "MasterCard" logo on it and can be used as a credit card. If I choose that route, I have to sign for the purchase instead of using the pin number.

Edited: 22 August 2013, 02:20
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,440 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to spend money in Australia?

Have a look at the Halifax Clarity card. I believe they have good exchange rates and low/no fees for foreign use.