We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

ireland
Level Contributor
58 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

I need to book a flight between Melbourne and Cairns and since i'm backpacking around for a month will have a big bag with me. Any one know whats the best airline and there allowances for internal flights. the most ive seen is 20kg on Jetstar...

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

20kg plus maybe 7kg or 1kg carry on depending on the airline would be about the most you'd get for an economy ticket.

Unless you're planning on never doing laundry even for a month this should be ample.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,063 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

Just remember with Jetstar there is NO free check-in luggage except for business class.

From their web-site ... << For Starter fares (including Plus or Max bundles), you’re able to select from 15kg to 40kg of checked baggage in 5kg increments, per passenger, per flight. The cheapest way to purchase checked baggage allowance is at the time of booking. Adding checked baggage after booking costs more at the airport, over the phone and through My Jetstar online.>>

So you can actually carry whatever weight you want but it will cost you.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

I suggest you repack! I travelled around Europe for 2 months in winter with only carry on luggage of 7 kg - and I managed to go hiking, sightseeing, shopping, dining and to the Opera in appropriate clothes on each occasion. It can be done!

Qantas are probably the last airline to in Clyde baggage allowance in the ticket price but its the bottom line you need to check. 'Free' baggage allowance can cost lots.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,268 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

Depends on the carrier & type of ticket you buy.

Qantas allows 23kg checked baggage on economy.

Virgin allows 23kg on saver & above, but you have to pay for checked bags ($20 last week) on the cheapest fare (super saver)

No idea about Jetstar.

All carriers clearly state the allowances on their websites.

Note on carry-on: Pay attention to the weight & size restrictions! 7kgs & whatever the sizes on the website state. Two pax on my BNE - SYD flight last week had their "carry ins" pulled & checked at the embarkation gate. One was overweight & the other too big to fit in the gauge.

5. Re: Baggage Allowance on internal Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2014, 05:17