We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week trip in June/July

Kfar Saba, Israel
Level Contributor
176 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
3 week trip in June/July

Hi all

At very early planning stages.Want to fly to Oz from China ad spend about 3 weeks.

We will be able to fly from Guangzhou,Shenzhen or HK.The question is where to?

Should we arrive directly to Sydney and then do a tour via Brisbane,fly up to Cairns and then back to Sydney? We know that OZ is massive,can't really think where to start.Thinking about also taking a campervan from Sydney to Brisbane then flying to Cairns.Want to see a bit of nature a bit of the cities and not rush madly around.All suggestions welcome.

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Hi. Do you enjoy campervanning or is it just the "must do" perception? I'd like to say or at least ask more but I guess it's a little vague. Do you want to do a road trip or do you want to get out of the cities and enjoy some nature? How long were you thinking for the cities you've listed, do you have an idea of what things you want to see in each?I'm not quite sure what you mean by "do a tour via Brisbane"?

Edited: 26 August 2013, 13:07
Kfar Saba, Israel
Level Contributor
176 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Yes MacKnee you are right.Just reread.THe idea is both to save money on accommodation and also pace it as we wish and meet people at campsites,chat etc and be able to be fluid with the itinerary.What I mean is I would prob have to fly in/out of Sydney and would love to see that city.From then on the plan is we have no plan.I would like to see a bit of nature,and I understand that the east coast is beautiful with plentiful camping places and would like to head north because of the June/July weather.I would also like to see the Great barrier reef and Cairns.So being as Sydney to Cairns is really far I thought we could drive up from Sydney to Brisbane,stopping as we please,return the camper at Brisbane then fly Brisbane to Cairns,then after touring the Northern area a bit we would fly back Cairns to Sydney.

Does that seem reasonable in 3 weeks?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Okay, well I'm not familiar with either campervanning or those particular routes, so I'll leave it up to others to help you further. I'll just mention that another option is on-site cabins, it might be something worth researching as a way to get the advantages you want without some of the disadvantages.

Kfar Saba, Israel
Level Contributor
176 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

thanks for that suggestion and a rough calculation shows that you are right.If I take 21 days of campervan and pay $31 for use of campsite or hire a car (at a lower rate of course) and spend $80-$100 for a cabin it comes out slightly less by car! Do you think,Ozzies that it is hard to get cabins during June-July? I understand that NSW and Queensland both have winter school holidays.Are the roads likely to be clogged with traffic at that time? And if so what would be a better destination?I am still open to suggestions.Thanks

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

$80 to $100 per night for a cabin won't get you somewhere nice. For that sort of money you will be in the backblocks

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,340 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

I'm just worried about the whole money-saving aspect, if you go for the cheapest van you'll be back here after your trip posting about how cheap it was, we see posts like that regularly from people buying into the idea of a cheap convenient flexible way of travelling around in their own little home on wheels without researching it properly, so all I'm saying is just do plenty of research first.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 09:52
Kfar Saba, Israel
Level Contributor
176 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Okay but obviously we are looking to save money since OZ is a pretty expensive country and most people only do it once so they want to experience a lot during their time.If we only have 3 weeks or so it is very tempting to see the motorhome as the way to go.I am just trying to research and it really seems to come out the same price car rental or motorhome.I am not looking for fancy accommodaiton (I live in China right now) just a place to sleep at night and cook something.I am not into fancy holiday places with swimming pool etc.So maybe the $90 places are okay for me.Again the car/camper is just a means of transport to get from A to B.I understand public transportation out of town is not so convenient and that flights are expensive.So please advise given this information.What would be the best thing to do for such a trip.I really don't expenct to see the whole of OZ.Just to go from Sydney up to Brisbane...and maybe fly to Cairns then back to Sydney.How you you Ozzies do that?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Hi Piglet, if you're not fussed on where you stay(ie beach or riverfront), then a car and cabins sounds like it could be the way to go for you

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,348 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

I can't advise you in regards to the road trip, but just interested in your flights.

You've obviously got the three options of CZ from Guangzhou, and CX from Hong Kong, and you also have QF. Have you priced them already? I'm only mentioning this, as your entry and exit points is going to influence your planning.

NSW Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 week trip in June/July

Hi there, We did the campervan thing Sydney to Port Douglas a couple of years back and stayed at a lot of freecamps (wikicamps app is brilliant)along the way, staying at caravan parks occassionally to have a decent shower and do the washing. We enjoy fishing so managed to catch our dinner occassionally and bought fresh fruit and vegetables at roadside stalls. (Just be aware that you can't take fruit and veg over the state border, they will make you put it in the bin). Make sure to do a shop at one of the large supermarkets to stock up as prices at small stores are almost double. We are a couple in our 50's and thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We had 10 weeks so we were able to really take our time and see lots of places, I think the road trip to Brisbane and the flights would be the best way for you . There is a good suggested drive Sydney to Brisbane on this site in the column on RHS. Although as it will most limely be school holidays you may want to stay away from the larger tourist towns. Hope this is helpful and have a wonderful trip.