We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Tromsoe
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Hi there

So I have managed to sit down and write this, I find myself almost in a panic because we are going for Australia and it is SO HARD, deciding what to do, and finding where to go, how to go etc. Bought 3 travelbooks, searched the web but still to much information. So a little help from my friends would be so nice. And yes, I have read the forums here..So the itinerary:

We have 1 week in Sydney/Canberra/Blue Mountains area with friends. We also celebrate NYE in Sydney. Have tried to get a hold of Lawn with a view tickets but still do not understand how I do that..Anyone?

7th of january: Travel to Brisbane and for 7-8th of January we stay at Gold Coast and go for two Themeparks.Rent a car for the remaining 3 weeks in Australia.

9th of January;:Go for a daytrip to Fraser Island. I considered two day/three day trip but due to the weather being very hot I am not so keen after all..

Plan is at the evening to go to Lady Elliot Island for a stay over night, but I just found out they do not have Air Con and that is freaking me out.

9-10th of January: Lady Elliot Island..or ???

10th - 11 of January: Rockhampton Farm stay at Henderson Farm Park. Go to Airlie Beach.

12th january: Whitsunday sailing.

13th january: Whitsunday sailing. Go to Mission Beach and Dunk Island. Stay at Dunk Island.

14th january: Dunk Island

15th january: Go to Cairns. Go to Green and Fitzroy island for a day trip.

16h january: Empty. Maybe Port Douglas.

17th January: Port Douglas. Kuranda Rail, Crocodile farm etc.

18th January:Have a base in Port Douglas. Go for a Great Barrier Reef Trip

19th January: Great Barrier Reef trip

20th January: Leaving for Hong Kong midday.

Anybody have any good ideas ? We want to see as much as possible for this trip.

We are a couple in our late twenties, early thirties...

Help:)???

Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
Geologic Formations, Mountains
Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Dandenong Ranges
Mountains, National Parks
Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
27,991 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

A bit at a time :-)

Brisbane will be hot but you aren't there for long. The coast often has a cool breeze.

A day trip to Fraser Island is a lovely trip, it will be a plesant temperature. Wear you'r cossie under your clothes for a dip in the river and lake. (Unless for some reason you want to stay there to chill out one day is sufficient)

Lady Elliot has a lovely sea breeze, it is a small beautiful island right on the reef, you can wade in the lagoon to see coral and fish. It's a nature reserve so lots going on. You can eat outside in the evening if you wish. I've been in several times in June, November and January and was never too hot. If you can book the Reef Unit which is the coolest or else the cheaper Garden Unit. I've stayed in both and had no trouble with staying cool. The sea breeze, the fan and the shade from the trees - please don't freak out. The Reef Units are quieter bird wise. The Eco Cabins are hot and stuffy.

You could sleep out under the stars if you wanted. Might get walked on by a nesting turtle though ;-)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Hi. You seem to have an emphasis on the Queensland coast and I see two concerns. One is that's not "as much as possible" of Australia but rather 'a lot of Queensland coast', which is fine if that's the aspect of Australia that attracts you. But the other is the time of year, very hot and also the wet season in the tropical north. Especially for you coming from Norway I don't know if you are prepared for such heat and humidity. Although the reef is unique and I don't want to dissuade you from that, I just want to throw the idea out there that Australia has a huge coastline and there are many beautiful places to visit that are not in the tropics, so for a Jan/Feb holiday that's just something to keep in mind.

>>Sydney/Canberra/Blue Mountains<< People certainly commute between Sydney and the Blue Mountains but I would not put Canberra quite in the same area, so I'm just wondering what exactly you had in mind?

Edited: 01 September 2013, 02:35
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Hi,

Jan is cyclone/ stinger season in Nth Qld. www.marinestingers.com.au

Lady Elliott is ideal at this time of the year - its hot but nothing like Nth Queensland. - (no stingers either)

www.ladyelliott.com.au

Fraser Island will also be great but busy at this time of the year as it is our very busy summer school hols.

Dunk Island is closed so you won't be able to stay there, although you can do a day trip from Mission Beach.

http://www.dunk-island.com/

Tromsoe
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Everybody, thank you so much already. Trying to make a good trip is important to us:)

First Suebovington: We just land in Brisbane and then rent a car there, and drive to the Gold Coast and themeparks:) Regarding Fraser island I also think it is enough with a day trip. Okay, will check in to Lady Elliot Island once again;)

MacKnee: yes that is also MY concern, I see I focus alot on Queensland, but I found it most easy to travel there. Also we now it is wet season in the north, however this is the time of year we can/must travel due to job/holiday etc. That is why I wanted to use more time in the "middle" in case of very bad weather in the north. That is also why I am considering not booking any accomodation in case we want to stay where the weather is good instead of where we "have to go". Please come with any other suggestions as to where we should visit =)? Regarding Blue Mountains/Canberra..we are visiting friends in that area (Orange), so that is why we are going about in that area:)

Ellemay: Okay so you also recommend staying in Queensland instead of the far north ?

Thank you all in advance!!!:)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

>>I found it most easy to travel there<<

I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to visit Queensland and have reasonable expectations of the weather and whatever then that is fine.

>>Regarding Blue Mountains/Canberra..we are visiting friends in that area (Orange), so that is why we are going about in that area:)<<

Well, Blue Mountains and Canberra and Orange are all different places. So it's in fact Orange you wish to travel to?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Pack some sunscreen, hat and long sleeve shirts..

It's hot here in qld in December - February..

Please remember to that qld schools are on holidays from 14/12- the end of January.. Then by the 21/12 most schools will closed for summer..

You should book things very soon..

I'm a little concerned about how you are getting from Brisbane to up north ?

Tromsoe
Level Contributor
80 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Hi there

We are renting a car and driving, found that the most easiest.

What need to be booked as soon as possible ? Everything ? Car ? Excursions? Accomodations?

We are visiting both Blue Mountains, Orange AND Canberra. Leaving from Canberra to Brisbane.

I am starting to second guess my plan since everybody seems a bit negative :)??

Is this WAY off regarding an East coast adventure for the two of us ?

please continue helping....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

I didn't mean to sound negative sorry

Aust is an awesome place..

I just wanted to put across it was school holidays and summer.

Plus from what I've heard the roads are still in recovery.. So there will be road works

I'm thinking you might have too much planned.. When I googled the distance between Brisbane and port Douglas it's saying about 22hours on the road..

Use this site to see what's in each area..

Happy travelling

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

Hi there

We are renting a car and driving, found that the most easiest.

What need to be booked as soon as possible ? Everything ? Car ? Excursions? Accomodations?

YES.. its our very busy summer holidays.

b) I am starting to second guess my plan since everybody seems a bit negative :)??

No; we are just giving you the straight facts... regardless u will have a fab holiday in Australia. -

c) Is this WAY off regarding an East coast adventure for the two of us ?

its a fun way to hire a car & go exploring.. we are just letting you know its also a very busy time in Australia as locals we all love to getaway... so book ahead to avoid any disappointment.

Read the links below for valuable info

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18251-Brisbane…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Happy planning !

10. Re: Itinerary suggestion for Dec/Jan 2013/2014 - HELP!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2014, 06:32