We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthcare for Tourist

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Healthcare for Tourist

I'm a week or so away from a 45 day Australian Adventure. I will be almost circumnavigate Australia and have been urged to obtain Healthcare in case of accidents etc. Never worried about this on my other travels but they have been shorter and less isolated. Any recommendations are welcome. I am only a tourist sightseeing and so not on a work Visa. A couple of plans I saw on the internet had 4-5 levels of care and no explanation what one level lacks to be cheaper. Thanks again for any help.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

Wouldn't you just use travel insurance with a healthcare component?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

Australians traveling overseas normally take out the kind of insurance that Margo mentions. But I understand that it can be difficult for US travelers to take out that kind of travel insurance.

I think this is the kind of product you're talking about: bupa.com.au/health-insurance/…

I assume many (all?) other Australian health providers would have a comparable product for visitors.

I cannot offer an opinion on it as I know nobody who would have it nor need it. But I can't imagine that it would be cheap. :(

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

You need to ask this question in the US ... you would be looking for travel health insurance but it would be through a US insurance company.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

That's a good looking product, Luigi. No idea how it compares to a normal comprehensive Travel Insurance policy in cover or price. Too many variables to even hazard a guess.

OP, as the BUPA website says, our health system is very good, but if you're not an Australian resident, it can be expensive.

Suggest you check out BUPA and a selection of travel insurances & see what suits you. A number of credit cards offer travel insurance if you buy all or part of your travel with that card.

No idea if that applies to your card or country.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,518 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

And having had a browse through the various levels of cover, I can see your problem.

As far as I can see, even the highest level of cover won't pay for you to visit a GP doctor here. You will pay the entire cost. Australians would pay no more than the difference between what the doctor charges and the standard govt approved fee. This isn't overly much and can be nothing. So, if you get the 'flu and need a prescription for something or other, you will pay about $150 for 5 minutes with the doctor and full world price for the medicine.

The US Embassy has a list of recommended doctors (ie. ones who will accept a new US customer off the street): canberra.usembassy.gov/medical-info.html

All "levels of care" seem to pay for essential treatment in a public hospital, but surgical costs would be limited to the amount covered by Medicare (our govt health scheme). You pay the difference. For essential emergency medical treatment (like a road accident or something), public hospitals in Australia are very good and additional costs above the govt approved fees would be low.

The various higher levels of cover seem to relate to routine "health" services like dentistry and optometry, rather than emergency care.

For a 45 day trip, I think I'd be content with public hospital cover, ie. one of the bottom "levels of care". But don't plan on coming to Australia on one of these levels of cover and getting your teeth fixed. :)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

You should take a look at travel and medical insurance policies on a site such as InsureMyTrip.com or SquareMouth.com. These sites offer a variety of U.S- based plans which will cover your unexpected medical expenses in Australia (or wherever you might travel.) I would not even consider a 45-day trip as you describe without having a good comprehensive travel insurance policy--one that covers more than just medical expenses.

Columbia, SC
Level Contributor
11 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

Thanks Everyone! I was barking up the wrong tree as I was advised to get healthcare in Australia directly. Thanks to Longhorn and others I saw what I really needed was travel insurance which is a bundled policy of many different products with its own version of health insurance. Never used it before but will buy a policy on this trip for ease of mind and pocketbook in case the unexpected happens!

8. Re: Healthcare for Tourist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 06:20