We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time Management- Your opinon please

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Time Management- Your opinon please

Canadian couple 58/44 will be arriving on Nov 3 Sydney leaving the 10th of Dec. We will be in the country for 37 days. Our main goal is to see as many World Heritage sites as possible. We like culture, museums, people and fantastic scenery. We are not into the night life anymore and do not favor lying on the beach. I have a partial plan on what I would like to do and would like feed back, suggestions and opinions. Here goes:

7 days in Sydney ( Sights and a rest from the flight etc)

Fly to Uluru- stay 3 days

Fly to Alice Springs- stay 2days

Take the Ghan train to Darwin- stay 3 days

Take the same train all the way back to Adelaide 2days one night for the trip

Stay in Aldelaide for 2 days

Fly to Hobart-stay for 3 days

Fly to New Zealand Auckland to see Tongario Park 4 days?

Fly back to Sydney to take train to Brisbane stay 2days

Train from Brisbane up to Cairns stay 3 days then back to Sydney

I still have a few days to play with, what would you suggest or change?

I am having a hard time trying to get Riversleigh/ Naracoorte into the picture

Thanks for any help- I did this write up rather quickly

Mentioned in this post
The Riversleigh
The Riversleigh
189 Reviews
Bairnsdale, Australia
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Crikey! I'm exhausted just reading this! Is there any particular reason you want to travel Brisbane-Cairns by rain rather than fly? Flights will probably be cheaper, and will allow you more time on the ground. I can understand why you'd want to travel on the Ghan, although again you could probably replace the train ride from Alice Springs to Darwin with a flight.

Any particular reason why you are taking a quick trip to New Zealand in the middle of your holiday in Australia?

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,190 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Hi acropolis

I agree with Vicki to consider more flights rather than train trips. Uluru, Alice Springs & Darwin will be very hot at that time of year. I would save the NZ time for another holiday, 4 days is simply not enough time there.

I would suggest considering more time in Tasmania & possibly adding Melbourne & the Great Ocean Road.

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,097 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

I presume the 7 days in Sydney includes the World Heritage listed Blue Mountains?

Do you prefer not to drive in Australia? Naracoorte could be done on a drive from Melbourne to Adelaide, and you could include the Great Ocean Road as well, I did that route many years ago. Relying on public transport does make some of those more isolated places difficult to include on an itinerary.

Do you specifically want to tick off 'World Heritage' sites, or do you want to visit really noteworthy places and thought the World Heritage list would be a good starting point for identifying worthwhile destinations?

Sorry to add more to think about but with the criteria you've given I thought I'd mention that Canberra has an excellent museum at the War Memorial.

I also think for scenery and heritage and at that time of year you could think about Tasmania.

I'm not sure about the amount of train travel you've got, including twice on the Ghan, and also putting New Zealand right in the middle. Edit: 4 days? Yes, not in the middle and if only for 4 days then really rethink it. IMO if you have 37 days in total you could include NZ but needs more time to make it worthwhile and needs more research.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 01:56
Mentioned in this post
The Great Ocean Road
The Great Ocean Road
6,097 Reviews
Torquay, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

My thoughts are the same.

Replace a lot of the train rides with flights - quicker and cheaper, and if you must go to NZ do I at the start or the end of your Australian visit and buy a multi city ticket so you don't back track. With time differences, getting to NZ and back effectively cuts 2 days from your holiday.

Instead of 2 days in Alice Springs, 3 days in Darwin and 2 days on the train back, you would have time to see a bit of Darwin and a quick visit to Kakadu National Park. What are you hoping to see in Alice Springs. I'd be inclined to fly to Darwin, spend a day or two there and the rest of the time in Kakadu. Consider taking the Ghan between Alice and Adelaide.

Logically your next stop should be Adelaide. Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne via Naracoorte. If you want to go to Hobart then fly from Melbourne.

Then fly directly to Cairns - forget about Brisbane - then fly back to Sydney and on to NZ.

You'll save yourself at least a week of travel time.

Sounds like some seriously good traveling after which you will need a rest.

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Sydney
Sydney
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

I'm sorry, I see you HAVE listed Hobart, I missed that.

I thought since I found these links I'd post them for everyone else's benefit.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/au

http://whc.unesco.org/en/statesparties/nz

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,734 posts
1,685 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Hi,

I also agree with the others - fly between your destinations. If you want to catch the train then just do Darwin to Alice Springs so at least you can say your done The Ghan !

I also would cut New Zealand & do it another time.. if you do want to go then leave NZ to the last.

look on www.skyscanner.net for cheapest flights. www.flightcentre.com.au & Qantas often have deals happening on their website. www.qantas.com.au

IMO you need to sort out your itinerary so your not back tracking all the time. ie..

Sydney - Brisbane - Cairns - Darwin - Alice Springs - Uluru - Adelaide - Hobart - (NZ)

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Brisbane
Brisbane
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Hobart
Hobart
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,615 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

I'm really not an itinerary expert, so I'll leave that to the much more experienced, and focus on the train aspect of your journey.

I too agree that two trips on the Ghan is excessive - both time consuming, expensive and not worth doing twice.(Canadians often compare the Ghan to the Rocky Mountaineer - it's nothing alike. It is based in the same set up, the product is vastly different).

However, I'm going to go against the grain (and it'll probably muddle your itinerary), and say that if you were catching the Ghan for the 'experience', I would do the Alice Spring - Darwin leg (as opposed to the Darwin - Alice Springs) for several reasons;

1. The Adelaide to Alice Spring (and vice versa) leg is mostly overnight. You actually see very little of the scenery.

2. The Adelaide to Alice Spring (and vice versa) leg is on the older track, and it's a very bumpy ride.

3. The colours you see on the Adelaide to Alice Springs leg is nothing like the Alice Springs to Darwin leg.

4. South bound (Darwin to Alice Springs) the scheduling isn't the best and the best scenery are mostly towards dusk.

Having said all that, I understand it may not fit into your itinerary at all.

Edited: 09 September 2013, 05:32
Mentioned in this post
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Adelaide
Adelaide
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Wow have I got work to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

Vicki- never heard the word "Crikey" before but I can guess what it implies, you are right about flying to Cairns, would save time. I thought I would see some of the landscape- Thanks

Mia- You are right about NewZealand but the chances of us coming back are very slim and I would hate being so close and not checking it out, I also will consider your suggestions as they have been mentioned[ Thanks

Macknee- Your comment about World Heritage sites did make me ponder some, I was planning the Blue Mountains, I have driven in most of the major cities in NA but never have I driven on the other side, would hate to hurt anyone due to my ignorance on driving ( perhaps I am being foolish ) but if required I would try.

Eva- You are right, I have planned this so wrong. I am, as others suggested back tracking to much. My thinking, from what I read, was that getting a place to sleep without costing an arm and leg in Uluru was that it had to be booked well in advance so I was going to do from Canada, hence the immediate trip there and onto Darwin and back down..etc. I was not sure about Alice, you hear so much about it but I admit could not find much info of note. I shall do as you suggested and remove it. Your comment about muticty ticket got my attention, I thought it was only on Quantas and only if I flew with them from Canada

Kve- Thanks for the info on the trains, your comment with the others tells me I am flying more

Thank you all, I shall do this again and submit for your comments if willing, I know now that NewZealads will be at the end and I shall be flying much more. Take Care

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Darwin
Darwin
Top End, Australia
Raymond Terrace...
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Definition of crikey: http://australiandictionary.net/crikey

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time Management- Your opinon please

Hello All !

We completed our trip to Australia and I must say it was great. I took your suggestions to heart. We took flights . We spent more time in Cairns, Darwin ( two days with Kakadu Park) and Hobart. We saw the Blue Mountains, drove to Narcotte and so much more. Did not back track at all. Sydney, Cairns, Darwin ,Uluru, Adelaide, Naracotte, Mount Gambier?, Melbourne, Hobart. It was very hot and humid in the North and central. Thanks for your help..John

Mentioned in this post
Uluru
Uluru
3,605 Reviews
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Darwin