We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mr and mrs smith travel site

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
mr and mrs smith travel site

Just wondering if anyone has used the site. I want to book a hotel from the site and its a guaranteed AUD price, rather than being rough approximation of what we would be charged if we book directly with an Indonesian hotel.

Any catches? I cant see info on how or when we then pay the balance. Maybe I need to do some more reading on this.

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi hamiriver,

Mr & Mrs Smith Travel gained a huge amount of popularity due to their reality tv show in the UK. It gained futher recognition due to it being used by a few celebrities, after which it won the 2010 Conde Naste online website award. (which is a sponsored award, not an industry award).

They are neither here nor there, in that their rates aren't typically any cheaper than any other third party, or direct with the hotel.

What does distinguish them from other agents? They inspect and audit every listed hotel - something that no other agency does. The catch? They have less than 1000 hotels contracted, so your choices 'globally' are severely limited, and their selection leaves alot to be desired. To give yourself an example - choose a random date for Sydney, and have a look at their selection. I'm gonna guess and say you won't even know all three. Well you may, but I bet they wouldn't be your top three choice hotels.

Their payment is by credit card like most agencies - but a one night deposit is mandatory.

For my money, I'd stick to mainstream third parties, and for SE Asia, I'd email the hotels direct.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Sorry, late add -

>>>rather than being rough approximation of what we would be charged if we book directly with an Indonesian hotel<<<

What do you mean by 'rough approximation'?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi KVE

Thanks for that.

I have a price on a site that is converted to AUD for the purposes of booking , an then it is actually charged in IDR. So, I don't know the actual xrate used to convert and if it will then leave me further worse off. The mrand mrs site is currently $150 cheaper then the hotel and only require a deposit right now. The hotel site want full payment now to guarantee the advance rate. Mind you its not something I normally quibble about , but its over $500 a night for this special occasion.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Ah ok, absolutely fair enough.

Yes, advance payment, pre-auth, deposits, all come down to the policies of the respective properties, so sometimes you in, sometimes you lose. I've stayed at several properties in Jakarta, but been fortunate with the reservation.

As far as I know, they are reputable and nobody I know of has complained about Mr&Mrs Smith Travel. Good luck with the res, and I hope you secure a great rate.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi,

I actually have the book for Australia but I've never really used their website. I would recommend you do your research by using other travel websites to check rates & also directly contacting the hotel & asking their best deals. Most times the hotels will offer the same & IMO you are best to operate through the hotel directly as if something goes wrong you only need to deal with one organisation.

Melbourne
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi Hamiriver,

Chloe here from Mr & Mrs Smith's Melbourne office.

There are definitely no catches when it comes to booking with Mr & Mrs Smith, only perks!

We offer the best rates guaranteed at all 950 hotels in our global collection - if you find it cheaper elsewhere we'll match it and give you AU$75 to put towards your next Smith stay.

Every time you book a stay with Mr & Mrs Smith, we also put a percentage back of the hotel spend into your "vault" (loyalty account) for future bookings. BlackSmith members (which is free to join) receive 1% back, SilverSmiths receive 3% back and GoldSmiths receive 5% back.

In addition to the best rates and money back, when you book with us you receive special extras at every hotel that you wouldn't receive normally - from a bottle of champagne on arrival to a massage for two.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact our Travel Team on 1300 896 627 (from Aus) or by email on travel@smithhotels.com.

Kind regards,

Chloe

Mr & Mrs Smith

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Interesting.

With your price guarantees, I am assuming similar conditions apply to others in regards to like for like. Does it also include the guest having to book it with you first, before the price guarantee applies?

And with your contracted properties, the inventory comes direct from the hotel? And not from another supplier?

Edited: 11 September 2013, 07:36
Melbourne
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi Hamiriver,

Our inventory comes direct from the hotel - if the hotel is advertising a cheaper rate elsewhere all you need to do is notify our Travel Team (you don't have to have already booked with us), and we will match it for you.

Chloe

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Very impressive.

One giant step ahead of other agents.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mr and mrs smith travel site

Hi Chloe

Thanks for that. I thought it was all good- just always good to hear other opnions and any catches..