We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

Larkhall, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

Hi, Has anyone used one of the pre-paid currency cards in Australia? There is one specific with Australian dollars that seems easier than using travellers cheques. Any thoughts? even if only used for withdrawing cash at ATMs (as no fees)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,392 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

Contact your bank for a Debit card to use at ATM's.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,082 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

Don't bring travellers' cheques: you will find them almost impossible to change.

The pre-paid cards available in the UK are not bad value, but there really is no need for a special card. Bring your credit card for larger purchases, and a debit card to get cash out of ATMs from your bank account, just like at home.

Wentworth Falls...
Level Contributor
172 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

We have tried to use Travelex cards while travelling many times and have given up, have found so many problems globally trying to get money out, suggest like the other posts say use your normal bank card, however you can still ash travellers cheques as well easily in Australia.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

Travellers' cheques generally require a visit to a bank during opening hours. If you are travelling in smaller country towns you may find there are no banks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,922 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

but cashing traveller's cheques is a pain in the ar$e - you've got to queue up somewhere (bank/post office), have your passport on you and you're restricted to when the bank/post office is open. Much easier to use a debit card of some description to get cash.

I have used the cards issues by ANZ and by CBA and had no problem with them in the UK (I just wanted to make sure there was no possible link to my normal, everyday banking accounts and so opted for that type of card, but my son used his CBA debit card in the US and had no problems either).

Traveller's cheques might be OK if you're visiting Jurassic Park, but otherwise I'd be opting for a 21st Century alternative.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,214 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

I last used travellers cheques in 1988 !

It's now 2013. Just use your ATM debit card.

7. Re: Pre-paid Travelex Currency card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2014, 05:17