We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days for Essence of Aussie

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
10 days for Essence of Aussie

Hi guys,

I am a regular TA reader, but I normally never posted question, this time its important, cz its our Honeymoon! :D

We are a Dubai couple, getting married in Feb and planning an Australian honeymoon. Due to leaves restrictions, we can spare only 2 weeks for honeymoon, so 10 days in Aussie and 10 days in NZ. I have posted a separate query for NZ, but want to know about Aus here.

Few things for you guys to know.

- My fiance is in Airline industry, so we can get cheap tickets and can fly whereever needed domestically. so no ticket price constraint! :D

- We both are not laid back tourists, not the typical honeymooners, we prefer covering everything, exhuasting ourselves and compromising over sleeps.

- We want a bit of city, nature, beaches, shopping, adventure, scenic beauty.....as in cream of everything.

What I have in mind is that, we go for East Aussie.

Landing at Brisbane

going north to World Reef Barrier

going down to Gold Coast

going down to Sydney

then finally Melbourne

suggest, how should I divide my days, what all to include? I am also interested in memorials and haunted places.

Also read about Titanic themed restuarant in Melbourne, is it worth it? I even am planning on buying an English dress for that if it is! :D

Any help would be great

Cheers

I want to put up, what I have in mind, so then you guys can approve/ammend/suggest

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

P.S. Please also suggest a good waterpark/theme park with thrill rides as Aussie is pretty famous for that! :D

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

10 days plus 10 days is 20 days not 2 weeks?

On at least five of those days you would be spending considerable time travelling to/from and sitting in airports, I know you said you're "not laid back tourists" but you have to think at what point does that become not worthwhile?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,076 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

Here's a link to the Trip Advisor reviews of the Titanic Theatre Restaurant in Melbourne. The reviews seem to be all over the place, so I'm not sure how helpful they will be:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g255100-d2…

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

oops I meant, 2 weeks of work leaves, so with weekends something like 15-17! :)

Ya since its honeymoon, we might not be rushing for everything, but I am planning on everything and will trim the list down over feasibility right before our travel! :D

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,383 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

Im sure as your partner is in the airline industry that spending every couple of days visiting an airport is surely no holiday!

If you land in Brisbane - have you planned what you want to do in Brisbane or do you then plan to spend 3 hrs and fly to Cairns to go the reef?

I think you need to do a tiny bit more research with activities of what you want to do and then we can help suggest some better ideas for you.

However initial comment is that you want to do too much in 10 days here. Unless you are taking night flights etc you will be wasting precious days waiting for planes.

10 days includng travel would really be no more than 3 places.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

February is the middle of the cyclone season and stinger season in the North of Australia. Not the best time to be visiting the Great Barrier Reef. If your fiancé is in the airline industry you should have plenty of other opportunities to visit and you might want to consider leaving your trip to the GBR for a time when you can come in the dry season.

If you want to visit the Gold Coast then you should plan your flights to fly in and out of the Gold Coast airport rather than Brisbane.

For a 10 day visit, you could fly into Melbourne for 3 days, then 3 or 4 days in and around Sydney, 3 days on the Gold Coast then back to Dubai from either OOL or BNE depending on airline. (Or, astou suggested, the other way round)

I'm not sure that we have any haunted places in Australia although there are Ghost

tours around the Rocks in Sydney and similar tours around the old

melbourne Gaol in Melbourne.

When you say 'memorials' do you mean cemeteries? museums? War Memorials? Monuments?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

Q Station Sydney has ghost/paranormal tours + you can stay there as well!

http://www.quarantinestation.com.au/

Also in Sydney at The Rocks http://www.ghosttours.com.au/

Waverley Cemetery can be viewed on the Bondi to Coogee coastal walk …nsw.gov.au/__data/…Coastal_Walks_2010.pdf

Edited: 17 September 2013, 00:22
Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

If you come to Melbourne, there are a couple of other Themed restaurants to consider, Draculas is one, and for a unique Melbourne experience try the Tramcar Restaurant, although it can be hard to get a booking. As for adventure www.visitvictoria.com.au is a great place to start. You can find your own level of excitement in Melbourne which helps it to be a great place to visit.

You may want to start your journey in Melbourne (No airline curfews & direct flights from Dubai) & move north. Make sure you visit the Great Barrier Reef, it's not to be missed, and then fly to NZ from there.....

Edited: 17 September 2013, 02:24
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
36 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

thanks everyone for your contribution. helps alot

much appreciated! (y)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,484 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days for Essence of Aussie

Sorry but are you bumping or closing the thread?