We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Could any body advise of the best cards to withdraw cash in Australia for visitors from the United Kingdom. Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
90,327 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

You would probably do best to ask in the UK forum. Australians will not know about the T&C applying to the various cards available in UK.

UK
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Halifax clarity has no atm fees and gives the inter bank currency rates. It is a a credit card so make sure you pay it off but it's by far the cheapest option, it's what I've got (using in NZ atm and aus next month). It's the one recommended on money saving expert. You do pay interest on cash withdrawals from the day you get it till the bill is paid, but so far for me this has been under 50p as I just online bank the bill every few days. Someone said it works out at approximately 1 pound per 100 which is a lot cheaper than most other ways.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Australian ATMs can charge withdrawal fees ... see if you can get a card from a bank with a connection to an Australian bank to avoid this. The machine will advise you before completion so you can cancel if you choose. NEVER use the machines at the airports ... they are mostly operated by travelex and will not only charge but give you a lousy exchange rate.

Card use is very common in Australia ... only small businesses will have a minimum purchase amount to use them, around $5 generally. Using a credit card in some hotels and taxis can incur a surcharge so be prepared for that, you can always get cash to avoid these.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Barclays cards don't pay ATM fees at Westpac or

St George bank ATMs.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,206 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Barclays would be the way to go. ScotiaBank which I use is in the same alliance and it was great to use the Westpacs with no charge. It would perhaps be worth opening an account just for when you travel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_ATM_Alliance

Edited: 28 September 2013, 22:48
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

Thank you. For the info.I will post a question in the uk forum. I am bit new at this.

7. Re: The best cards to withdraw cash in Australia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:19