We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

Hi all,

I am going to Australia for a few weeks in January, I am staying with friends in Sydney and Melbourne but want to stay for a few days up by the Great Barrier Reef... Any recommendations?? Somewhere close to the reef but I can get there via plane from Sydney??

Thanks a lot in advance

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

You can fly direct to Cairns from both Sydney and Melbourne. From there you can do day trips out to the reef.

It's not the best time of year to visit the reef being the wet season and stinger season so you need to wear a stinger suit in the sea.

But, if that's when you are coming anyway you may get lucky with the weather. At least its 'warm' rain.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,614 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

Cairns is the "entry" to the Great Barrier Reef area as it has the main airport. However, you could stay elsewhere and still experience the Reef. We enjoy staying in Port Douglas because it's a smaller town, has a beach which Cairns itself does not and also has a number of boat companies that offer tours to the Reef.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

I would also suggest you look at catching flight from SYD to Hamilton Island, in the Whitsunday Passage. This southern end of GBR, but great for sailing, snorkeling, on the reef.

4. Re: Where to stay near Great Barrier Reef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2014, 06:21