We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apollo motorhomes

Tucson, Arizona...
10 posts
Save Topic
Apollo motorhomes

Hi, I rented a Cheapa Campa from Apollo Motorhomes. It was dirty and not well maintained. On the trip from Perth to Darwin we had two flat tire one was a bad valve stem that was old and brittle, another was an old tire that just bubbled up. next was a water leak that I fixed myself thirdly the TV was not set up for a signal next the motor would stall from fouled fuel filter, next the water level monitor did not work. We got a smal rock chip smaller than a dime that did not spread. Apollo in Darwin charged me $520.00 AUD off my deposit. With this kind of customer service I can only belive that this company is on its way to insolvency. I have seen it before in other companies. Thanks Gary Knox

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,137 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apollo motorhomes

It's really not acceptable but, if you've seen it before with other companies, wouldn't you have been very thorough with whatever you can inspect - at the very least said something about how dirty it was, and not accepted it?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,116 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apollo motorhomes

This forum is full of stories about campervan rental companies. It's just a pity that you didn't find TripAdvisor BEFORE venturing on your trip in the cheapest campervan you could find on the internet.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Can I just explain the windscreen chip.

Although it may have seemed small to you, under Australian road law, any chip in a windscreen means that the windscreen needs to be replaced. Your insurance should have taken care of that. You did have insurance, right?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apollo motorhomes

>>on its way to insolvency<<

I doubt it, cos there's always another customer who didn't do any research. So how many Apollo threads have we got going now?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,988 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Yeah well we got a tiny chip in the windscreen of our rented car in Montana USA - AND we had to pay for the repair too. That is normal practice and we expected it. BUT our travel insurance will cover it.

Tucson, Arizona...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Hi, the Visa insurance does not cover RVs. If I claimed it on my insurance it would not make it to the deductible. Gary

Tucson, Arizona...
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Hi, you still are out the travel insurance which never is a good deal. I never expected a small chip which are easily fixed for $60.00 would cost me $520.00. $390.00 for the windshield and extra administration fees. Gary

Tucson, Arizona...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Hi, I could not find RVs on TripAdvisor.

Tucson, Arizona...
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Hi, I rented from Britz before, no problem. I thought At the time Australia had fairness built in. I learned the hard way. Gary

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,988 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apollo motorhomes

Well the chip we got in our car windscreen cost $240.00 and was fully covered by our travel insurance which we have through my ANZ Visa card.

AND most chips are NOT easily fixed for $60.00 and the company will need to replace the whole windscreen - hence the high cost.