We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sydeny coastal drive

hyderabad
9 posts
Save Topic
sydeny coastal drive

I and my wife are planning to tour Australia in the month of May. Arriving Sydney on 15th and leaving back on 28th from Melbourne. Of that we are thinking of staying 5days in Sydney, one day in Blue Mountains two days in Wollongong and two days in jermis bay and the last two days in Melbourne. Is that ok or any better options rather than coastal drive from Sydney to Melbourne? Ours is mostly social tourism kind. I welcome suggestions as it is my first visit to Australia. our budget also has limitations, we want to stay only in hostels and budget accommodations and travel by public transport,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sydeny coastal drive

1 day Wollongong..its' 90 mins max from the city and TBH not a lot too do. it's really an outer suburb of sydney

(yes there is Minamurra... do it enroute to Jervis)

I'd use the xtra day for somehwere further down the coast like Eden or bega

hyderabad
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sydeny coastal drive

thanks

is the coastal drive journey is worth preferring?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sydeny coastal drive

I started to reply and then realised you said you are relying on public transport. IMO that changes everything. Do not travel from Sydney to Melbourne by land. If you wish to visit seaside towns and beaches then take a day tour, for example Phillip Island or the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne.

hyderabad
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sydeny coastal drive

how about keeping either Sydney or Melbourne as base and going on package day trips? any good tour

operate-ring agency kindly recommend

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sydeny coastal drive

>>how about keeping either Sydney or Melbourne as base and going on package day trips?<<

I don't understand. Do you want to visit Sydney AND Melbourne? They are too far apart to use one as a base for visiting the other.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,184 posts
1,433 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sydeny coastal drive

Hi,

If you are not driving the coastal route from Sydney to Melbourne then I suggest you fly between Sydney & Melbourne & do day trips from each destination. For cheap fares check -

www.webjet.com.au www.skyscanner.net.au www. Qantas.com.au www.jetstar.com.au www.virginblue.com.au

a) Melbourne - Great Ocean Road / Yarra Valley

http://www.greatoceanroadtour.com.au/

b) Sydney - Blue Mountains / Hunter Valley / Hop on Hop off bus & ferry in Sydney.

viator.com/Sydney-tours/…

viator.com/Sydney-attractions/…d357-a290

hyderabad
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sydeny coastal drive

is one day tour enough to see jermis bay?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,125 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sydeny coastal drive

Nice pick up Mac. I didn't even consider someone trying the trip by public transport!

Jervis bay day trip...long day but yes. I don;t know any tour operators that offer it though. You cant go by yourself by public transport in one day. You'll spend the entire time on trains and buses.,

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,038 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sydeny coastal drive

>>how about keeping either Sydney or Melbourne as base and going on package day trips? any good tour<<

Again, do you want to visit Sydney AND Melbourne?

>>is one day tour enough to see jermis bay?<<

What exactly is your interest in Jervis Bay? If we understand why you have chosen a place then we are better able to make suggestions or offer doable alternatives.

10. Re: sydeny coastal drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 05:18