We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

hi all

im planning a year backpacking trip through india, Nepal , Vietnam laos Cambodia thailand down into Malaysia and then over to Indonesia. Im also thinking of applying for a years backpacking visa in Australia . ive been scouring the internet looking for budgets but all seem to be different. im looking at a budget of 8000 gbp for india and se asia and 2000 gbp to get seteled in Australia . Ill be staying in hostels mainly and am not a heavy drinker. I do want to see all the major tourist attractions and what not. basically I just need to know if 10000 gbp is a reasonable budget. your views will be really appreciated

cheers

Dave :)

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
I'm Free Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

I assume that's £2000 to see you through till you get some sort of job? Assuming you have a WHV.

Budgets for travelers are much easier to predict than budgets for long term backpackers. It depends on how

Much traveling you want to do, what sort of lifestyle you lead (not just drinking either). Do you smoke? There's $20 a day! How much work do you plan on doing?

As a super vague ball park figure, staying in a hostel in a major capital city, staying put, using public transport and eating 3 home cooked meals a day with the occasional drink and purchase of basic items, you would need a minimum of $60 a day. That's more than people on pensions get. But you wouldn't be entitled to benefits that they enjoy like cheap transport. Want more and the cost goes up from there.

Edited: 13 October 2013, 23:07
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

Australia is not the cheapest place to visit, especially given the countries you are going to beforehand. Your budget in them can be a lot less than your budget here.

I would consider $80 a day taking into account that you won't be here for at least and year and then will be here for a year. Aside from a bed and food, you will also need to get from place to place and certain areas, especially remote ones, are more expensive.

If you are going to work that's great, but I'd be budgeting that amount anyway so that if you want to splurge a bit on something you can and if you don't want to walk and/or can't get work then you are covered.

If you do some research you will be able to find cheap and free ways to save you lots of money no matter where in Australia you are.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,149 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

Sound advice from both Kts and Eva. I can't add much more but as Kts pointed out, although you're visiting more countries in SE Asia, you should be spending a whole bunch less there than you will here. So from that perspective, your budget seems lopsided too far towards Asia. But your overall finances seem more than ample, especially if you're planning to work here as Eva pointed out.

Level Contributor
20 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

cheers for all your replys :) yes im planning on working in Australia , im going to speak to people on my way and try find ideas for a job .,.. anything will do for a start. my friend has just landed in aus and got a job digging ditches ... id happally do that for a while. if anyone has any ideas for quick jobs until I get settled that would be great ... I have no specific places.. just being in Australia should keep me going for the first month or so

cheers again for all your advice

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

The travellers point forum is probably more what you need. Trip advisor is more about actual holidays.

The folks on http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm are all gap year and WHV travellers and can probably give you are realistic idea of what they are living on day to day, plus all the info re sites to be looking for jobs on.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

The usual jobs that go to back packers are bar work, labourers and fruit picking.

Make sure you have the correct visa, it used to be a lot easier to get away with cash in hand under the table work but most employers are a lot stricter now. It's still fine to get paid cash but if they don't care about your visa run for the hills because you'll likely be over woked and not paid

7. Re: backpacking budget for a one year trip .... Help!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:20