We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Anyone planning a trip to the Blue Mountains (Katoomba etc) should reconsider their plans in the light of serious bushfires around Springwood and Lithgow

While Katoomba is currently in no danger (no fires there) tourists should stay off the roads to and through the mountains. The RFS has asked that ALL non-essential vehicles stay away. Sightseers are NOT welcome.

for up to date info check out www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/dsp_content.cfm?cat_id=683

or the Rural Fire Service facebook page.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,818 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Wishing everyone in the Mountains and up and down the South Coast and the Central coast all the best. Stay safe!

Hume Highway and Pacific Highway remain closed. Check Live Traffic NSW Facebook page for the latest.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

rfs is a great resource as is bom

While roads etc may not be closed now where the fire is and which direction the wind is blowing gives you some predictive options Roads are often not closed until the last breath as i learned heading north last month

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Travel on the Bells Line of Road (often sugested as an alternative to the Gt Western Highway) should also be avoided.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Bump

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Non essential travel please.

It also makes sense not to bush walk on days when the weather forecast is not good.

I work in emergency services, and the number of people who ring Triple Zero for assistance because they are walking in the bush and can smell smoke, on a day when the temp is in the high 30's and the wind is strong, normally on a Total Fire Ban day.

Bad enough there are fires but worse to go and find some bushwalker who should have stayed at home that day

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,438 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

current situation (Friday morning 18th October)

while the Gt Western Highway through the mountains is currently open, visitors are reminded that all non-essential vehicles should avoid the area. conditions can change very very quickly.

Bells line of Road is currently closed

please see sites & FB pages listed above to get up to date info and if in doubt plan an alternative outing

do not even think about heading to the mountains for a "look at the fire damage"

Central Coast and Southern Highlands/South coast are also experiencing major fires

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Local radio stations have good coverage of what is happening where with bushfires. In Sydney, ABC 702 is a good resource.

Just to emphasise the Fire Commissioner & posters' advice: DO NOT DRIVE TO THE BLUE MOUNTAINS UNTIL THESE FIRES ARE OUT.

The same goes for any other region under bushfire attack. Apart from being a nuisance & blocking roads which should be kept clear for emergency vehicles getting in and residents getting out - you may well be caught yourself!

IF YOU DON'T KNOW where the areas concerned are GET A MAP & FIND OUT! Your GPS will not show the full picture.

I understand how disappointing it is to plan a holiday and find part of it can't be done. That pales to insignificance when people & animals are losing their homes & lives in natural disasters.

A little perspective by those whose holiday plans are disrupted would be appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,106 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Good links & advice thanks team!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

Thanks for the info guys.

My wife and I were planning to head down to Blue Mountains on the 28th, only in Katoomba and MAY drive to Jenolan Cave. I understand the fire fighters are working really hard to put out the fire, but in everybody experience, do you think it's wise to visit those two area 10 days from now? I haven't booked my accommodation in Katoomba yet.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blue Mountains Bushfires 17 October 2013

bump