We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in australia (1st time)

Level Contributor
27 posts
600 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in australia (1st time)

Hi there

in april\may im headin to go in australia for the 1st time and i have three milestone to visit: sydney, cairns zone (im not a beach lover but ive seen incredible pictures about it) and uluru (2\3 days max).

Do you thing there's enough space to go (by air i guess) to Top End zone?

Ofc cuz im just beginning my planning, opinion about other territories are well accepted :)

Thanks in advance!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

Sydney to Cairns is a 2.5 hour flight - lots every day.

Cairns to Ayers Rock Airport (uluru) is a 2.45 hour flight several a day

Ayers Rock to Sydney is 2 hrs 55 and several a day.

That gives you an idea of the distances.

That way you certainly get to experience the 3 different landscapes of Australia, the temperate city and beaches of Sydney, the tropical rainforest and Great Barrier Reef, and then the Arid Red wilderness of the outback

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,710 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

With three weeks of vacation, you have plenty of time to visit the Top End in addition to Sydney, Cairns and Uluru. However, be aware that the weather could be changeable during April and May as April is the end of "The Wet" and May is the beginning of "The Dry". If you decide to go to the Top End, which may be my favorite part of Australia, I'd spend 5 - 7 days there in order to visit Darwin, Kakadu, Litchfield and Katherine.

Here's some explanation of "The Wet" and "The Dry": questacon.edu.au/burarra-gathering/extra-inf…

Level Contributor
27 posts
600 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

Thank you very much! I admit i'm really ignorant about weather in australia and i still need many info about the country in general (im ignorant about australia too). :)

Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

Every fibre of my being wants to tell you not to bother with the Top End. Because I want to keep it to myself.

IMO it leaves the Barrier Reef for dead. It's an awe inspiring, unique part of the world and if you can manage it, should not be missed.

At that time of the year some places may still be inaccessible but those that you can get to are worth seeing. You won't regret it!

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

We had only two weeks and had lots of time for Sydney, Cairns/Port Douglas, and Uluru, so with one more week you will have time for more.

We loved the Rain Forest and the Great Barrier Reef. The first day in the Daintree we drove from Port Douglas to Cape Tribulation and back. We took a couple walks and visited the Discovery Centre which is excellent. The second day we went to Mossman Gorge and took the walk with a native guide. That was very interesting. Then we took a dip in the swimming hole and drove to the Daintree River and took a boat ride to see crocodiles. We saw five crocs, including a very large one.

We spent one day snorkeling on the reef (Wavelength out of Port Douglas) and one day in the Atherton Tablelands where we visited a coffee plantation, saw the countryside and spent some time in Kuranda (totally touristy!) We then spent a final evening in Cairns.

6. Re: 3 weeks in australia (1st time)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:20
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor