We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 week trip December 2014

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
4-5 week trip December 2014

Hi, I am considering planning a trip to Australia for December 2014, it's too early to look at flights and accommodation yet but trying to get a rough idea of cost together for 2 people. I have heard December is school holidays so will be more expensive?

We would like to go to the whitsunday Islands, Great Barrier Reef, will visit family in Canberra (although have been told there's not too much to see here!), any suggestions of other places to do some research on?

We were also thinking of Sydney for NYE - have been told this will be expensive and tends to get booked up quickly although we can't search hotels here yet, any idea when we'd need to book by?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

this is going to be an easy diy plan....after all you can look at pricing and availability for this year and get a pretty accurate picture. nothing will be much different in 2014, and you will be able book once accommodation goes on sale soon as you see a good price.

the exception. NYE in Sydney probably never cheap but the better deals for the year would long gone. Still its a one of a type experience, and whilst most accommodation types will have minimum night stays worth doing if your budget allows.

Canberra is nice, there is plenty to do. Whether is what everyone wants to do is another matter. A number of museUms and galleries. But some are quite significant, like the War Memorial.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

Summer is not ideal for north Queensland. You might get through early December ahead of the tropical storms, cyclone threats etc.

Most states school holidays start close to Christmas. It gets worse Christmas through early January with many workers also taking holidays. The coastal towns from Brisbane to Melbourne fill.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 16:18
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

>>will visit family in Canberra (although have been told there's not too much to see here!)<<

By your family living here? Well I guess they know you better than we do so if that's their opinion knowing all the relevant facts that's fair enough :-) As with any destination some people like it and some people don't. At least you'll get to visit with your rellies and that should be enjoyable. I'm sorry but I do wonder though, why mention it at all? It seems to me it could help perpetuate perceptions which are not necessarily helpful. It's like the opposite of people posting draft itineraries and apologising for not including Uluru or the Gold Coast, I've never understood that either. GOING to some destinations needs some kind of explanation/apology while NOT going to others also needs explanation/apology? Yes, sometimes it helps us give better advice if we have been provided with some clarification about the reasoning behind certain choices, but often it just feels like a random apology thrown in there, and my concern is that people browsing the forum will come away with ideas about certain destinations that are not necessarily completely accurate and not necessarily relevant to them personally.

Anyway, as for the rest of your plans, is spending Christmas/NY in Australia a priority, because otherwise for cost and weather reasons another time of year might be better?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

I would not be booking yet. Use this time of the year to look at what prices are like to get an idea of what to expect.

Christmas Holidays usually start around 20 Decembet. If you come before this it will be cheaper. The week between Christmad and NYE is very expensive and then the first two weeks of Jan. People start going back to work then but its still school holidays so things are pricy till end of Feb.

Canberra is often written off as not having much to offer, but a little research will reveal there is actually a fair bit to see and do. Not as much as Melbourne and Sydney, but don't write it off!

Finally, also do your research about how far north you go. December should be the start of the wet season, which can cause difficulties when travelling and swimming due to jelly fish and sting rays. You should be fine around the Whitsundays, but double check.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

Sting rays??!!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

Yes Glenn W, stingrays or in fact any kind of marine rays. They are out in large numbers in tropical Queensland during their season between November and March and extra care should be taken to swim at patrolled beaches only.

This is frequently posted about, but here's a link for further info: http://www.marinestingers.com.au/safety/

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

I have visited Australia many times in the past 20 odd years and think where you want to go - it's a continent remember! - depends on timing. Even in January parts of Tasmania can feel like a wet summer in England! I have had excellent holidays in the North and Queensland but not in Australian Summer. So go to the bottom end of the Great Barrier Reef at Christmas and if you are hard up book outside Sydney for New Years eve: it is a big city and suburbs may be affordable. I found Canberra interesting but I am a retired academic and thought the National Library particularly interesting.

8. Re: 4-5 week trip December 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2015, 06:17