We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

The new Tune Hotel in Swanston St, Carlton is offering special deals to celebrate their opening (ie. trying to get a customer base). They have all rooms on offer for $50 a night until 31st October. The rate may be higher for the weekend. Seems like a good location and a great deal.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

Has anybody from Melbourne seen the rooms/hotel?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

I wouldn't say the location was great - it's a long walk or a tram ride into the city and nowhere near the route of the free tram.

However,for those on a budget then the price is certainly good. $50 a night is in the same ball park as Hostel accommodation. Even $85 a night for a double, which seems to be their standard rate, is a good price for Melbourne. Might well be worth the tram ride.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

It's definitely interesting as they basically plonked the LCC concept straight into a hotel - including the restrictions.

Whilst the properties differ slightly in operation from location to location, some of the aspects maybe applicable here.

The most noted concerns are; no kettles permitted (due to room size and possibility of triggering fire alarm), only security staff overnight, limited service hours, and the add on pricing which inevitably catches people out online, and the fear the prices won't stay low for long.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

There was a review of sorts today in the Sydney Morning Herald travel section online (or may have been The Age online)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

My friend and her daughter are staying there (Melb) tomorrow night, so I'll get some feedback from her and post it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

That would be great morticia, love to get an insight as its a huge money saving option for travellers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

So, my friend and her 21 yr old daughter stayed at the Melb Tune. Special deal - she got a twin room for $40 for the night. Paid extra $2.50 for towels & toiletries. They didn't pay for any other extras, so didn't have internet or TV. No fridge or tea/coffee making facilities in the room. The room was clean and 'compact'. Off the foyer/reception is a lounge with a TV, and off that is the laundry - so if you have to do laundry, you can sit in comfort, watch TV and keep an eye on your laundry. Tram line right out front, so easy travel into CBD, but she said she could hear the trams running throughout the night (not good if you're a light sleeper). Verdict - better than OK for the price, and suited their needs for a night (went to a show that night and shopping early the next day) - so they really only needed a room to sleep. Probably not great for a longer stay when you would be spending more time in the room. Once the 'special price' has finished, and you add on Internet/TV and possibly other 'extras', it might not be such a good deal. Not sure how the regular price will compare to a good hostel, but at least the Tune is new and as such is clean, at least for a while:) If anyone has specific questions, just ask, and I'll follow up with Deb and get back to you.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 08:36
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,515 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

That's brilliant feedback and more than sufficient information to advise accordingly. In busier times, it certain,y adds an option for those needing a bed for the night.

Thanks for coming back to update morticia, greatly appreciated.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

Hi there,

Has anyone stayed @TUNE Hotel and booked via Agoda.com?

I made a booking for this deal "Double Room with Comfort Pack"

-any idea what d comfort pack includes?

-whether it is for 2pax?

-able to change to 2 single beds instead?

Thks much.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,271 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great deal on hotel stay in Melbourne

There rooms are double or twin ... twin rooms are more expensive booked through the hotel itself so I presume you would have to pay more ... why not contact the actual hotel?