We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

york
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

Hi can anyone tell me if JETSTAR AIRLINES are ATOL protected and if so how I can obtain an ATOL certificate from them.

I am going to Oz for 6 weeks this winter, can anyone tell me the easiest and cheapest way to use a mobile phone. Have heard various stories about buying a phone locally and a SIM card or bringing your own phone and having it unlocked to use a local SIM card. Your advise would be gratefully appreciated. Regards, Jim Stevens.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,610 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

Lebara is probably the most reasonable sim as far as costs go, you might also like to check out amaysim, they are also fairly competitive. Most newsagents and supermarkets sell them and they can be topped up online. Of course you will need an unlocked phone, it would be cheaper to bring your own or you can buy them with credit from around $25.

After a bit of googling I found out what ATOL actually is ... I believe it's a UK based thing and doesn't have any application in Australia, you should just buy travel insurance.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,345 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

ATOL is a UK Civil Aviation thing, so it's not applicable here in Australia. Even then, they only apply to package holidays, which isn't particularly popular here like the UK.

Mobile phones - easiest to bring your own SIM unlocked phone, and purchase a prepaid SIM card.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,517 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

If your phone is already unlocked, you can by a sim card at a supermarket or phone shop. Australia has fairly strict ID requirements, but a passport and credit card will suffice.

Edited: 03 November 2013, 10:49
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

Photo ID is required to purchase a pre paid SIM. If you are an overseas visitor it has to be a passport.

Have a look at Optus $2 days deal. Adequate if you only want occasional usage.

5. Re: jetstar ATOL certificate. Using a mobile phone in Oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:18