We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit/things to see

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Places to visit/things to see

My husband and I are visiting Australia from 26 Dec through 6 Jan. We plan to be in Sydney for New Years eve but all else is unplanned. Any suggestions to make the best of our time? We are young and active and are planning to travel by plane, train and bus to get around the country.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,544 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit/things to see

Hi,

I noticed you said 'planned' to be in Sydney for NYE.

Have you already booked accommodation? Otherwise, no point buying your flights or planning anything in detail, because whether you can get accommodation will determine your entire itinerary. If you have not, I'd highly suggest looking ASAP, as NYE here is only just below Time Square NYC for demand.

If you have - excellent. We need to know your interests, and tastes, things you may have listed on your 'must sees'. A good starting point is the FAQ's

Edited: 09 November 2013, 20:24
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit/things to see

This coming year? Worst time of year as industry closes and many people are forced to take annual holidays. Flights are always expensive and accom has minimum stays at premium pricing.

Ok, I hope you have a very tidy budget. Where do you fly in and out of? The will help us start and as KVE said.. is NYE accom booked, if so what dates have you locked in there?

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit/things to see

After the sticker shock of Sydney hotel prices we booked 3 nights in Brighton Beach (29 Dec-1 Jan). Our thought was to visit Melbourne from 26 Dec-29 Dec. We are looking at taking the Ghan train, maybe visiting Kangaroo Island, Ayers Rock. What about Perth or Adelaide? Being from Florida we see plenty of beaches so the outback and wildlife are our bigger interest. We fly in and out of Sydney, and wanted to pop over to New Zealand on 9 Jan then head back to the US from Sydney on 14 Jan.

Edited: 09 November 2013, 20:55
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit/things to see

OK...

Melbourne has the ashes cricket test at that time so you will need to check out prices carefully for flights and accom.

Ghan possiblewont work in your timetable. Just a question you do realise Australia is as big as the US? Would you consider putting LA, Grand Canyon, New York and Florida in one trip?

Can you narrow it down a bit and perhaps in your time fram we all suggest 3 destinations with flight, 4 is a push

Edited: 09 November 2013, 21:07
Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit/things to see

Thanks GurusW, you are absolutely right. I wouldn't recommend to someone visiting the U.S. to try to visit both coast of the U.S. and places in between. So what would you suggest to help narrow our focus?

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to visit/things to see

To narrow our focus given our limited time should we focus on Sydney, Melbourne and/or Canberra, Adelaide, Alice Springs? Kangaroo Island also looked interesting. We love wildlife. We read the FAQ Top Ten places to visit in Australia but we haven't that much time.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to visit/things to see

Ok the red centre will be incredibly hot possibly around the 110F mark or higher, so if you can cope with that and work it into a flight schedule. Then I would still suggest the Uluru bit. Forget Perth altogether and save it for another time.

KI is a great idea for seeing wildlife etc.

Normally for Melbourne and your interests I would suggest Great Ocean Road but i think you would be hard pressed finding accom and th traffic at that time of year is a nightmare. Perhaps just do the penguins?.

My picks would be Sydney Melbourne and KI

8. Re: Places to visit/things to see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 November 2013, 01:14
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,869 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to visit/things to see

OP has booked at Brighton.... it's in Sydney :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to visit/things to see

Ah, I was thinking Brighton Beach in Melbourne.