We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary please

Marsaxlokk, Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary please

Hiya!

Hubby and I are planning to go to Oz in January, and I'm a bit at a loss.... There's just so much to see and do that I can't seem to be able to streamline my choices! It'll be my first time down under, but my husband's been already, since he has family there. Here are the must-do's that i put in the intinerary.... The blank dates are the ones I need suggestions for :-). Flying in and out of Melbourne.

18/01 arrive melbourne

19-23/01 visiting family in Melbourne

24/01 driving from Melbourne to Sydney. Overnight somewhere along the way

25/01 arrive Sydney

26-28 sydney

28 fly to uluru

29 -30 red centre

31/01 leave red centre for...?

01-04?

05/02 return to melbourne

06/02 depart from melbourne

Which leaves us with 4 or 5 days before going back to Melbourne. What would you suggest? I would like to see some wild life, but camping is not an option. Also interested in the outback, native aboriginal culture, and swimming, good food etc. though about going to queensland for the great barrier reef, but heard it'll be stinger season and not possible to swim freely in the ocean at that time of year. Would love to hear your suggestions!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary please

Given your interest why not just head north to Darwin or Kakadu?

You could also go to Perth for that period of time.

I 100% encourage everyone who visits Australia to visit Uluru but just be aware that its very hot there in Jan, you're looking around 40 C or 110 F. Hopefully that won't deter you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary please

We have been to Adelaide and Kangaroo Island in January and really enjoyed it. If you are looking for swimming at the beach, we liked Glenelg (a suburb of Adelaide). You'll find plenty of wildlife and scenic beauty on KI and there's no need to camp.

While I absolutely love Darwin and the Northern Territory, you might find it too hot and humid in January. That's in the midst of the season that is aptly called "The Wet".

Marsaxlokk, Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary please

The heat doesnt put me off. Coming from a hot country myself, but living in another where it's constantly raining, I'm always yearning for sunshine and heat! :-)

I have read about Kakadu, but thought that maybe it would be too far away to go all the way out there? It certainly does tick many boxes. Would you recommend Darwin and Kakadu instead of Uluru, or would you say Uluru is more of a must-visit for a first timer?

I will certainly look up Kangaroo Island! Sounds intriguing! Thanks!

Marsaxlokk, Malta
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary please

Longhorn74, how did you go to KI?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,037 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with itinerary please

What sort of heat are you used to, and is it humid heat? It's just that Cairns in October was a surprise to me and I thought I knew Aussie heat, but the humidity really adds something, I have also heard people change their minds about how just much heat they were looking forward to once they've experienced it here.

If you are really keen on the reef consider going anyway, as I understand the reef boats issue stinger suits, and I've noticed some people enjoy the region at that time of year, so do seek seek a range of opinions and see what suits you.

On the other hand if you are likely to visit again at a different time of year you could perhaps save the tropical north and outback for then. Arriving in Melbourne in January would make Adelaide via the Great Ocean Road, Kangaroo Island, Tasmania, Sydney good choices.

>>24/01 driving from Melbourne to Sydney. Overnight somewhere along the way<<

I wouldn't bother with a two day drive, it just adds significantly to your travelling time without giving you enough time to enjoy anything. As I said on another thread recently "the trip between Sydney and Melbourne is very worthwhile whether you do the inland or the coast or a combination, however making the most of it is dependent on having plenty of time". The consensus seemed to be about a week.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,610 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with itinerary please

I've been to Kangaroo Island twice--once flying from Adelaide and once via the ferry from Cape Jervis.

7. Re: Help with itinerary please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2014, 05:17