We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sydney/Melbourne accommodation w/ infant

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
85 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sydney/Melbourne accommodation w/ infant

Wife and I are taking our 1-year old to Sydney for 3 nights and Melbourne for 4 nights over Christmas. We just want to take it easy and be situated somewhere baby-friendly with easy access to the main sights. Wife already booked the Grace hotel in Sydney and the Blackman in Melbourne. Are these good choices or should we change? We depart from Melbourne at 6am so I'm wondering if we should even stay at a hotel on the last night, or just camp out at the airport with the baby sleeping in his stroller. Are there lounges open or reasonable accommodation options at the airport?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,140 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sydney/Melbourne accommodation w/ infant

Your accommodation choices are absolutely fine.

Aside from your hotel in Sydney, there are baby change rooms on Level 5 at Westfields Shopping Centre (elevator lobby), and Level 6 of David Jones (children's wear). Both have secure feeding rooms and regularly serviced change areas.

As for your thoughts about the last night in Melbourne, don't cancel it. People often ask about these things, and even if you could 'camp out' and spend time in the airport, do you honestly want to? What if your partner and child get exhausted at 4pm the previous day? It's not just the overnight part, it means you'll be out and about from 11am the previous day. Do you really want to be out 19 hours? To me personally, that one way to wreck a perfectly good holiday. Don't do it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sydney/Melbourne accommodation w/ infant

don't think you are allowed to sleep overnight inside the Melbourne airport. Also you are on holiday, do you want to be totally wrecked the next day or so without a proper sleep. If you are thinking of the dollars then stay at the Formula 1 hotel right near the airport which is a lot cheaper and easy access to the airport. Not my first choice however. Have stayed a few times at the hotel which is just across the street from the terminal . Was the Hilton but now the Parkroyal I think

3. Re: Sydney/Melbourne accommodation w/ infant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18