We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

21 days in Australia

Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Topic
21 days in Australia

I have 21 days including flights from USA to Australia in Oct 2014. I want to see the outback and do the touristy stuff in Melbourne and Sydney and places like that but I am having a hard drive trying to figure out where and how long I should spend in the outback. Does anyone have any good recommendations. I don't mind renting a car and do it myself if you think I would get a better experience that way. Thanks in advance for the help

Blue Dive Port Douglas
Scuba & Snorkeling, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Escape Discovery Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Bus Tours
The Little Penguin Bus
Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Oz
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 21 days in Australia

Hi,

With only three weeks you have just enough time to visit:

Cairns/Port Douglas (GBR, Daintree and hinterland) for one week.

Sydney for a week (day trips to Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley etc), or Melbourne not both.

Uluru/Kata Juta, Kings Canyon, Alice Springs etc.

Don't forget you will lose the day you arrive and the day you depart as well as Jet Lag recovery.

Cheers,

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 21 days in Australia

For the destinations you have actually specified and the time you have, I would suggest the following:

Melbourne - 8 nights

Uluru - 3 nights

Sydney - 8 nights

Although this does of course depend on where you are flying in and out of, you can swap Melbourne and Sydney around to meet your needs. I like the idea of putting Uluru in the middle to break up the cities and give you a different perspective before going back into another city but there is no reason why could not do something along the lines of the following (or vice versa if flying into Sydney):

Melbourne: 7 nights

Sydney: 8 nights

Uluru: 3 nights

Melbourne: 1 night

I would not hire a car in Uluru, do tours. It's not only expensive, but travelling solo and without a good knowledge of the area can be very dangerous, if not deadly. You'll want 3 nights to allow for a day flying in and a day flying out.

In Melbourne and Sydney, you won't need a car for the whole time. Parking can be difficult and expensive in both cities. Hotel parking rates can be pretty hefty too. I'd only get it for the time you are doing day trips, say 3 days out of your 8.

There's so many places where you can do day trips from in all 3 destinations, so if you want some advice, just ask.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
137 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 21 days in Australia

You would have enough time to have a couple nights in Sydney and a couple in Melbourne then drive the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, catch the ferry to Kangaroo Island for a few nights, then drive to the Red Centre and Uluru via the Flinders Ranges, or if you wanted to save some time you could fly - but it is an interesting drive. You could then catch the Ghan to Darwin and maybe take some time in Kakadu if you have enough time.

http://www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au/

southaustralia.com/regions/kangaroo-island.a…

smh.com.au/travel/activity/drives/road-to-th…

greatsouthernrail.com.au/site/the_ghan.jsp

http://kakadu.com.au/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 21 days in Australia

I am probably a little biased, but I find the best places to visit are Brisbane and Melbourne. Living in Melbourne, I stress that you see the Yarra Ranges area. Beautiful forest with amazing roads to drive on. Big tourist area and great for bush walks.

Brisbane is great for beaches. Check out the Gold Coast and Redcliffe for very different, but beautiful areas. The Gold Coast is very modern, whereas Redcliffe is very dated and 70's looking in most areas.

Orlando, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 21 days in Australia

Thanks everyone for the replies, I really appreciate it :)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,348 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 21 days in Australia

Melbourne 5 nights

Sydney 5 nights

Uluru/Kings Canyon 3 nights

Cairns/GBR 5 nights

7. Re: 21 days in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 06:20