We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going to Australia

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
going to Australia

me & my husband want to go out there but is hiring a campervan the cheapest way or should you stop in a motel first and then once over there book a campervan, we are planning on spending the month over there as may not get the chance to go again

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,081 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going to Australia

1. Figure out where you want to go. For example a campervan in a large city means staying distant from most attractions and wasting time/money on public transport, when a YHA or something might be better value and more convenient. Even in smaller towns an on-site cabin might be a good alternative, with the advantage that you don't have to cart absolutely everything with you everywhere you go while paying more for the petrol to do it. So as I say, first decide where you're going. Then you can consider whether campervanning is the best way for the various routes/destinations you have in mind.

2. Research the companies. The cheapEST tend to get a lot of negative feedback on this forum, and I'm not talking about disappointment that the fantasy of a pretty little home on wheels turned into something rather basic, I'm talking about nasty surprises about the condition of the vehicle and the actual costs. So please, research the companies with a view to finding a decent good value product rather than a CHEAP product.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going to Australia

I guess if we knew when and what you wanted to see and do it could help.

Generally it's cheaper to stay in motels/hotels ... domestic airfares are very cheap if booked in advance. It basically depends on what you want to do.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,081 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: going to Australia

Yes, I was just trying to edit to add, WHEN? That will make a difference to all sorts of aspects of the advice we give, including re budget.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,243 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going to Australia

Great questions from MacKnee and able.

And also get a real clear idea of the distances you're going to travel. We often hear of people coming from the UK and Europe, asking about crossing Australia. Then they get a massive shock when they realise it's further than driving from Dublin to Moscow.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,831 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going to Australia

Campervan rental Maui or Britz vehicles www.drivenow.com.au

Fuel prices www.motormouth.com.au

Distances www.auinfo.com

www.australia.com

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,215 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going to Australia

A few more details would be helpful...

What month are you thinking of visiting Australia ??

Where do you want to go ???

What are your interests ??

What is your budget ??

All of the above questions will help us give you the appropriate & correct information.

7. Re: going to Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:17