We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

M K
Brisbane, Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

Hi There,

I think some of you might have been to various zoos in Australia. From you experience which zoo would you recommend for kids (of ages 8 and 2 years old)? It would be great if you could list them in terms of preferences.

Thank you,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

I can't say I'm experienced with all zoos and kids, but the ones we regularly took ours to were Taronga in Sydney, Australia Zoo in Queensland, Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Zoo and Healesville Sanctuary.

I'm not sure they really had a favorite. They just loved seeing the animals and, in particular at Healseville, interacting with them. They never once said that they would rather be at A than B. Werribee they found a bit ho-hum as many of the big mammals can only be seen at a distance. But they did love time at the meercat enclosure.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

Adelaide Zoo's are non profit and operate as survival and protection of wild fauna

www.zoossa.com.au

Edited: 11 December 2013, 06:43
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

Depends if you want to focus on Aussie wildlife or just a mix.

For Aussie wildlife Healesville Sanctuary is great.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

Australia Zoo is close to you and has contact areas for the children

Pandas at Adelaide Zoo

African free range at Monarto in South Australia

Sydney animals have a great view

baby elephant at Melbourne

can't say a preference as they all have something to offer and aren't competing with each other but working towards saving endangered animals

ask the children what animal they want to see and pick a zoo with those animals

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
15,357 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

Dubbo Zoo has always been a personal favourite of mine since the early 80s. It doesnt feel like a zoo - open plain and cage free etc.

6. Re: Which is the best zoo for the kids in Australia ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16