We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Initial planning of east coast trip

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Initial planning of east coast trip

I like to have several holidays in the pipeline and am thinking about a three/four week trip in March/april

I lived in Sydney for three years in the 70's and have made two four week trips back since then. So I know Oz reasoably well. The last trip was 3.5 years ago.

My O/H doesn't want to come this time as she has trouble coping with the flight.

Rough plan.....

Allthough I've visited most parts of Oz, I've never been to Brisbane or the gold coast, so I thought fly into Brisbane. I won't hire a car at this stage as I think it would be a hinderence when spending a few days in the city. Relocate to the gold coast for a few days (is the gold coast different to the sunshine coast? and which would you recomend). Pick up a long distance bus (I like travelling on these) and break the journey at one or two places between there and Sydney. Where would you suggest? Apart from Gosford and Terrigal I haven't visited that stretch for over 40 years. Spend at least a week in Sydney. (what a city!) Pick up a hire car and travel down the coast towards Melbourne (we went Canberra/Hume last time so no need to repeat that route). Will need to break the journey at relos in Paynseville. Spend a week or so in Melbourne at relos in Mt Eliza. Drop off car or even drive it back in a back to Sydney. Fly home from either Sydney or Melbourne.

What do you think of my plan peeps?

I could of course do it in reverse to take advantage of warmer weather in Melbourne and then cooler weather in Brisbane.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

I think doing it reverse is a good plan, although you never really know about the weather.

Byron Bay is a good place to stop between Brisbane and Syd.

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

Thanks

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

1. Gold Coast: Beautiful beaches, beautiful people (well, they think they are) lots of glitz, tourists and souvenir shops. Lots of theme parks if that's your thing. Lots more accommodation than the sunshine coast so more competition for the tourist dollar often means cheaper accommodation.

Sunshine Coast: Beautiful beaches, more casual, laid back and not so glitzy (except for Noosa)

Both areas have a fabulous Hinterland of mountains. It's my personal preference, but then I like it quieter on the beach.

Another option is to head down to Northern NSW and stay around Byron Bay. Awesome!

2. Not so sure about spending more than a day or so in Brisbane. It's a nice enough city but has no more to offer than any other city in Australia. And no beaches! Maybe a day or two before you go towards the coast.

3. Bus? Are you sure? Oh well, each to their own. Nice spots to stop off: Byron Bay (as mentioned) Lennox Head (gorgeous), South West Rocks (you'll never want to leave), Port Macquarie (retirement central, but a beautiful town).

4. Rather than just drive the coast road (which, by the way, doesn't go anywhere near the coast for most of its length), you could combine the coastal drive with a trip through Canberra(that's our National Capital), and the Alpine Regions, taking in Thredbo, Mt Kosciuszko and the high country. You can come out onto the coast through Omeo - awesome country.

Personally, I'd drop the car off in Melbourne and fly out from there.

March/April is a great time to visit. I'd start in the north, get some swimming in and hit southern Australia just in time for the autumn colors in Victoria.

Tell Mrs T she should reconsider -buy her a business class ticket!

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

Thanks Eva

Yes................ having looked at the map for between Brisbane and Sydney I think it would be better to have a car the whole way. There are always turn offs from the main road to be explored. I thought start in the south before the cooler weathe comes there and get to the north for when the cooler weather has arrived. But I take your point about being in the south when the autum colours arrive would be nice. regarding going through Canberra. We've been there a couple of times. Been through the snowies also.

Regarding Mrs trickster......... I have suggested flying Emirates out of Burningham and she can have a seat in business while I sit in cattle class. Problem is whilst I like going away a lot (Med cruise in Jan and two weeks in Gran Canaria in Feb in the pipe line), she likes staying at home and pottering about in the garden. I'm thinking of trading her in for another model.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

Ahh, yes, but the travel $ (or in your case, the travel £) goes twice as far if only one of you is spending it. And you'll have a captive audience for your 5000 snapshot slide show when you get back. Then SHE might trade YOU in on another model :-))

England
Level Contributor
4,699 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

I think she's investigating that possibility even as we speak

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

I can never see the point in hassling someone to go somewhere when they'd rather stay home/ go somewhere else.

Better, IMHO, for both to do what they'd like to do, enjoy it and have happy tales to relate when they meet again.

Caveat: once the decision is made - no grizzling on either party's part!

Coerced travel just opens up too many " I didn't want to come here & now ...." opportunities & the keen one worrying more about pacifying the draftee than enjoying their own trip. And the reluctant traveller wishing they were elsewhere and being heroic/ martyr to the cause.

If your good wife just needs a little encouragement & the flight is the only inhibitor, fair enough. Tell her millions of us do it and survive, buy her a business class ticket & ply her with champagne /scotch.

If she genuinely doesn't want to come, leave the girl alone to potter amongst her hollyhocks!

And take her home a very nice present. Your presence is not sufficient present - one you go to some trouble &/or expense ( preferably both) to acquire.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

>>>And take her home a very nice present. Your presence is not sufficient present - one you go to some trouble &/or expense ( preferably both) to acquire<<<

Sneaky Hint - Im guessing that's not a 5000 snapshot slide show...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

I'd also discount fridge magnets, spoons, snow globes or Australian editions of Royal Wedding memorabilia. Just a thought.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Initial planning of east coast trip

Just a quick note to remind Trickster that April has Easter (18th-21st), school holidays (NSW 11th-29th, Vic + Qld 4th-22nd) and the Anzac Day holiday at the end of the week of Easter Monday, 25th.

These events could lead to travel and accommodation when not with relos being a bit more difficult.

If your times are flexible I'd suggest you visit and travel around in March,

Cheerz Wabster.