We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we afford to come?

England
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Can we afford to come?

We came 2.5 years ago and felt that oz was a relatively expensive place to visit. Having said that, we had a fab trip and didn't begrudge the expense.

I've been doing some preliminary costings for a proposed trip next march. The flights from uk seem have gone up about 50%. Car hire is well up too.

What about the general cost of living. Has that gone up much?

Can we afford to come? The answer is defo yes. It just means they'll be less for the kids when we snuff it. It's just a question of whether we'd rather spend the money going somewhere else instead.

What do yous think?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we afford to come?

>>>It's just a question of whether we'd rather spend the money going somewhere else instead<<<

It's a little moot question because you've already mentioned that you 'can' afford it.

The above question can only be answered yourself, as you aren't going to see things here, anywhere else in the world. And nobody here is going to say "nah don't bother, you're better off not coming"...

Yes, things are more expensive in general than 3 years ago. Hotels for example is about 15% higher in rates than 2010 (technically much more because the end of 2010 was post GFC, and room rates were dismal). And March is the busiest month for room occupancy in Sydney.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we afford to come?

Some reference points

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/national/

http://www.coffee-prices.com/

Screw the kids, all they need handed down is manners, ethics, integrity and encouragement - cost, zero.

England
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we afford to come?

Thanks for the info.

Yes, we've got to the stage of our lives when we need to start reducing our assets before it's too late.

As my granny used to say "No point being the richest man in the cemetery"

Edited: 16 December 2013, 16:28
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we afford to come?

just don't winge when you get back about how expensive Oz was

Oz
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we afford to come?

Hi,

It's like the fuel economy of a luxury car. If you have to ask you can't afford it!

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,294 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we afford to come?

On the other hand, Trickster, if you don't come you'll be able to ask more questions here again next year. :))

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we afford to come?

You certainly won't be the inaugural member of the SKI Club (Spend the Kids Inheritance)

Not only have I joined, but I expect the kids to pay my annual subs ;-)

Australia CAN be very expensive but it doesn't have to be.

Your major expenses are always accommodation, transportation and food. All of these can be very reasonable or stratospheric, depending on your taste, your demands and your motivation to plan well ahead.

Keeping an eye out on internal airfares means you can purchase when there are sales on and save a lot.

Traveling out of holiday and peak season can have a huge impact on hotel costs. If you want to stay in 5* luxury right in the centre of Sydney in a room with harbor views, it will cost you. If you are prepared to stay in less salubrious surroundings you'll save a packet.

Eating is the same. Are you planning on eating out 3 meals a day in top class restaurants? Then sell the crown jewels. Stay in a serviced apartment, get your own breakfast, take a sandwich for lunch occasionally and eat out for dinner at the sort of restaurants frequented regularly by the locals and you'll eat well and cheaply.

Would you rather go somewhere else? I don't know.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we afford to come?

+1 to Eva's comments.

Another factor - which you've probably already taken into account - is the exchange rate. The AUD has dropped recently, so your GBP goes further.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,742 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we afford to come?

Are you using the royal "we" ? Isn't there only one of you potentially visiting this time? That makes it cheaper...

Edited: 16 December 2013, 22:05
England
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we afford to come?

Thanks all for taking an interest.

I have no intention of being a whinging Pom (despite the humiliation currently under way at the Wacca(sp?)

I have taken another members advice and won't try to persuade Mrs T to come as it only builds a festering resentement leading to possible divorce.

I like asking lots of questions and have made and enjoyed the journey in my mind so I don't actualy need to travel.

Thank you