We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camper Van or Car and tent?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Camper Van or Car and tent?

Hi Guys,

I'm flying to Melbourne in Feb to travel up to Cairns over about 6 months (working on the way) and wondered if, in general, its cheaper to rent a camper van or to rent a car and stay in camp sites/hostels. Obviously I've checked some rental prices on line but is there any hidden costs I should know about? Also can any one recommended a good place to hire a camper van, every review on here seems to be bad....

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

If you're coming here on a working holiday, I'm not sure you really want to be forking out so much money for any sort of rental.

Our usual recommendation is to fly between cities domestically, then take trips out to regional areas from there. Unless of course you really want to do the whole drive. Even then, how much time are you really going to be spending in the regional areas?

If that is the case, it will be like rental as you go between locations - but that would involve one way rentals, which incurs a further fee.

Maybe a mix of part drive, part fly might suit?

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

I like the idea of doing the drive as most of my activities are based around hiking/mountain biking/ surfing, hence the idea for having my own vehicle.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

Over a six month period you are probably better off buying a car and mixing hostels with camping

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

I agree with Glenn. Lots of travellers who plan to stay for several months buy a car and then sell it again at the end of the trip.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

Good suggestion from Glenn, especially if working is a secondary priority, and you're going to spend more time adventuring.

There's always backpackers advertising cars for sale on their notice boards.

Edited: 18 December 2013, 03:57
6. Re: Camper Van or Car and tent?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:19