We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

Indore, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

Hello Everyone,

We are a group o four adults i.e two couples traveling to Australia & NZ for 18 nights (excluding flights flight from and back to India) We initially thought of doing only nz for the entire duration but then thought hat too much scenic and historic sights might get little boring as one of the couples will be on there honeymoon and decided to do a combination of Australia and new Zealand in order to balance nightlife, scenic, adventure and luxury.

Now our Itinerary Goes like this, Kindly Suggest possible changes so that we can proceed with hotel bookings and apply for visas accordingly.

Day1-4 – Brisbane/Gold coast

Day4-6 Hamilton Island

Day 7-9 Sydney

Day10-13 Queenstown (will cover nearby areas from here like mild ford sound etc)

Day14- Franz Josef

Day 15 Christchurch

Now we are left with 3 days in hands which can either be added to Australia as per suggestions or New Zealand or a combination of both..(someone suggested us to take a stopover at singapore for 3 days while coming back but we feel it can be done anytime as it is close to our home country)

Hotels Required will be four star and above, also we are looking forward for some experiences that can be cherished for rest of our lives.

Pl. Note we are not too much in to long hikes, too much history or hardcore physical exertion but would definitely like to experience even all of these at moderate levels if possible

Kindly Suggest a Suitable Itinerary

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

Is that 3 days in Sydney including day of arrival, one full day, and day of departure? What are thinking of seeing in Sydney? It sounds short to me, especially as you express concern about being bored of scenery and wanting to balance it.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

i will be taking a flight from Hamilton Island to Sydney early in the mornin g.. and yes 3 days and 3 nights in Sydney including the day of arrival

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

And you want time for what?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

Hi,

Without bursting bubbles or destroying your rough itinerary, I would reconsider your plans about doing both Australia and NZ. 18 nights is barely over two weeks, and in this time a reasonable number of destination cities is four (4). And the reason why we do so, is that travellers often don't take into account domestic travel, and make half day allowances/loss for transit.

Sticking with your current itinerary will not only exhaust you, but you'll spend half the time travelling, and not seeing the cities completely.

Personally, I'd recommend doing one or the other.

Indore, India
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

I am not getting you.. I have mentioned 15 nights the way i have planned, i just need suggestions wthr the itinerary is perfect or not and whr should i utilize the remaining 3 days .. Also 18 night itenary suggestion is welcome

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,953 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

Ok fair enough, stick with your plans.

As for your hotel requests, we need exact dates of your travel and your nightly budget. There are so many four star and above, that it would be pointless unless you can give us a bit more information, as to your preferences.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

The itinerary is not perfect. I agree with KVE1005's recommendation against rushing to do both countries in that time.

I will leave the details of New Zealand to the New Zealand forum people. I will just say that when I visited New Zealand I spent two weeks seeing the South Island.

When I said >>And you want time for what?<< I was referring to the part of my earlier question which you did not answer >>What are thinking of seeing in Sydney? It sounds short to me, especially as you express concern about being bored of scenery and wanting to balance it.<<

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

when you have decided which cities you want to visit and the dates you will be there look at sites like www.aboda.com - make a short list then check the reviews via the 'hotels' tab in the green bar at the top or each city forum page

2 days for Queenstown is not enough especially since you want to spend one of them going to Milford Sound.

so in reality 2.5 days in sydney - by the time your flight lands, you get out of the airport, to your hotel and get checked in.

you will find a link for 'things to do' for each city too - it's also in the green bar at the top of the forums - work out a list of things you want to see & do and if you add 'please or thankyou' to your post there will be plenty of people who can help sort the logistics. Do remember that every poster here is just like you - a traveller - no paid travel agents here - we help when and where we can and a few manners never go astray

cheers

helen

9. Re: 18 Nights combination of Austrlalia & New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2014, 05:18