We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

electrical

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
14 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
electrical

Visiting Australia and New Zealand this Feb/March. Will I need a Power Converter in addition to a plug adapter for my Notebook PC and Cell phone?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: electrical

Hi

No, if your Laptop has a power adapter between the plug and Laptop, which all I have seen do, this will convert our 240V to whatever is necessary for the Laptop.

Before I retired I had many USA visitors and they all just plugged in with a plug adapter

Cheers

Savey

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: electrical

>>>power adapter<<<

Step down converter.

Don't bother buying it mail order beforehand, check with your hotel when you arrive. If you wish to get one for yourself, they are available from supermarkets starting at around AUD$12. Korjo is one of the more popular.

Edited: 25 December 2013, 19:46
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,025 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: electrical

No step-down converter required. Laptops and chargers will work off any mains voltage. All that is needed is a plug adaptor to use a US plug in an Australian socket.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: electrical

Posts #1 & #3 are correct.

You need something like this: amazon.com/VCT-VP-6-Adapter-Australia-Zealan…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: electrical

>>>No step-down converter required<<<

Who said a step down converter was required? So what is quoted as "power adaptor" is not called a step down converter?

>>>Posts #1 & #3 are correct<<<

What is incorrect about Post 2? From what I'm aware, most hotels provide multi- format adapters for guest use.

Edited: 26 December 2013, 01:43
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: electrical

Your previous message reads as though it was a step down converter that could be supplied by the hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,210 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: electrical

Ah I see, thank you Frommy.

My sincerest apologies OP for the cryptic post, I shall clarify here;

The device already installed in your AC cord is also known as Step down/up converter.

Don't bother buying a plug adaptor by mail order beforehand, because they can arrive faulty. Do check with your hotel when you arrive. If you wish to purchase a plug adaptor for yourself, they are available from supermarkets starting at around AUD$12. Korjo is one of the more popular.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: electrical

If you happen to be travelling via China, you can buy a Power Board, that fits Au outlets, with 8 fully adaptable inlets for $3.00.

I have two, very useful when you buy electric stuff overseas.

Cheers

Savey

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,694 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: electrical

Sorry, KVE, I didn't see your question here earlier. As Frommy said, I read your post #2 as being an express contradiction of Saveytraveller's correct post #1. I suspect that SydneyNick did also.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,627 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: electrical

I also find that these days I need double outlet adapters to accommodate multiple functions, such as recharging laptop, camera batteries, phone, and wife's' Kindle simultaneously overnight. On a cruise last year I could only locate one available power point in our cabin, and that was situated just above a bench so I could not mount the battery charger which extends below the power point. On request the steward provided a power board that I could sit on the bench to use with the adapters.