We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Last minute decision by my mum to come with us for our last week in Japan, all of which will be spent in Tokyo. She would like to do a tour further afield after we leave - any suggestions for a suitable tour operator? She is 75, reasonably fit and single. She speaks absolutely no Japanese, has never been there before, but is curious.I think a week's duration would be long enough.She would be looking for something starting around 25 January.

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 06:07
Mentioned in this post
1770 Shuttle & Tours
Taxis & Shuttles, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Electric Bike Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours
Oceanview Helicopters
Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Helicopter Tours, Photography Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Hi,

Probably a good idea to post this in the Japan forum also.

If your mum is fit, and has no health issues, I can't see any reason why she couldn't participate on a local tour. A great majority is sightseeing without taxing hikes (although in the south and west, there can be some rigorous walks). English won't be an issue, as its a compulsory second language, and mandatory for tour guides operating foreign visitor tours. All the larger hotels have english speaking staff also.

My recommendation is for one of the established the mainstream operators like JTB, and Kintetsu (the reason being, the established operators have offices fir contact here in sydney) but the locals may know of some boutique or smaller new operators. Here's a sample of what type of tours you can expect; http://www.jtb-sunrisetours.jp/

Edited: 31 December 2013, 06:23
Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

I'd been going with jtb. Government backed and excellent. My experience in hotels 5* and otherwise is English is very much dependent on location eg no issues on the tourist route but head up to takayama or matsushima and it may be a struggle. Even at the kanaka at nikko there was only one staff member with clear engrish.

Where exactly is she wanting to go without you. Lol if it want January I would offer to go and guide no expenses :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Thanks Guru and KVE. It's very much a last minute thing...we are skiing in Nozawa hence the January timing and since Dad died, she doesn't have too many adventures; this just seemed to work. She's happy to go anywhere, as long as she's with an English speaker.

I have posted on the Japan forum and also asked Chris Rowthorn (recommended in an SMH article a few months ago) with whom we're doing a couple of walking tours in Tokyo. If all else fails, she may just put this one down to a confidence booster and go again on her own during cherry blossom season.

Will keep looking! Thanks again (and Happy New Year!)

Mentioned in this post
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,126 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Sasanqua. It is do able on your own. The Japanese are amazingly helpful and polite people. Cherry blossom is amazing but you need it get into the park on a blue tarp to really experience it. HNY and have a great trip

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

I'm doing exactly the same thing with my mum in January also.

Taking her back home to Japan as a last time trip, and to pay our respects to her mothers burial plot. It's a great thing to keep them busy and I'm sure she's appreciating all your efforts.

I've just messaged my aunt in Tokyo, to see if there are any tour companies that come highly recommended for aged foreign tour groups. If anything comes up, I'll be sure to update with a post.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

Aaawww, thanks so much, we really appreciate it.

She can hardly believe it - it will be so good for her.

All the best for 2014.

7. Re: Tour in Japan for 75 year old?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2015, 05:19