We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor

4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first time visitor

Hey guys, I'm going to Australia in early Feb for 6 months on my own. This is my first time travelling and willbe doing so on my own. I will be starting off in Sydney then moving onto Melbourne followed by Adelaide then finally Perth, I will be looking at spending roughly 6 weeks at each destination and a week or so at Alice Springs before my return flight home from Sydney. I have read several of the FAQ's and other threads but still have a few questions.

1. Accomodation, will I be better off staying in hostels or looking fot temporary flat/house shares?

2. The easiest way to travel to each destination seems to be flying, am I correct in assuming so?

3. Attractions, I have researched each area and have a pretty good idea of what I want to see and visit. Are there any hidden gems that I should be aware of or make a slight detour for?

4. Travel buddy, is there anyone else going to be over there lone travelling between Feb & Aug that maybe want to meet up?

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,942 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor

Hi,

1. It'll be both. You won't find the share accommodation online - well you can, but you seriously want to blind rent without seeing it or meeting your sharers? So you'll need to start off in hostels, and you'll notice people advertising on noticeboards, telegraph poles, online etc etc.

2. Yes

3. Yes, but they are hidden so you have to find them. I'm serious. Otherwise you aren't really exploring. And we have no idea of your interests.

4. Refer to point #1 and look at Travellerspoint

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor

Working holiday? I mean, six weeks at each destination . .

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor

Yes working holiday

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor

Interested in anything and everything tbh just want to make the most of my time

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visitor

Hi to answer some of your questions. Australia is a safe country to travel and there are plenty of young people who travel here on their own. The best way to meet fellow travellers is to stay in Backpacker hostels. Many of these offer accommodation in the best part of town. Accommodation in Perth can be very expensive. I recommend booking ahead. February can be very hot, particularly Alice Springs and Perth. There are some great day tours out of Alice Springs but you need to be prepared for the heat and flies. In Sydney I recommend a ferry trip to Parramatta. it's a relaxing and cheap way to see some of the harbour. The National Parks are spectacular, although may be a hot venture that time of year. St Kilda is the place I'd visit in Melbourne. On Sundays a market is set up near the pier. Take a walk around the corner to Acland street for cake and coffee afterwards. While in Perth make a day trip to Rottnest. I recommend catching the ferry from Fremantle. Take a Bayseeker bus to get an overview of the island. There are many tours on the island, some for a fee eg guns, and lighthouse, while walking tours are free. Swimming, snorkelling and bike riding are the most popular summer time activities on the island. I'd suggest plane travel to Perth and Alice Springs.

Edited: 02 January 2014, 04:48
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,802 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visitor

assume you have your WHV sorted?

4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visitor

Yes WHV all sorted along with flights, insurance, first 7 nights accomodation. Thanks again everyone.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visitor

1). Hostels. That way you get to meet like minded companions who may join you for all or parts of your journey. Start at Kings X. Chances are you will pick up a cheap car that someone was not able to sell before jetting out. You'll see a few of them with flat tyres in the side streets. Secondly, you are unlikely to pick up rental accomodation for such short durations. Another option is to ask. I've put international visitors up for free just because they asked. It usually doesn't cost you, although one would be expected to reciprocate the favour by cooking something different or shouting your host family to a restauarant or something once a week. And before you ask me, I'm going on a cruise then, so I'm out....

2). Yes. Qantas

3).Ask the locals. We're not sure what you're interests are.

4).Refer to tip 1).

9. Re: first time visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2015, 06:19