We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

roaming in South America

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
roaming in South America

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with an international sim to use in South America (Argentina, Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia)? I am doing a six week trip there and need to be contactable in case there is an emergency back home.

J

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,499 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: roaming in South America

If you only want to be contactable you can have your own carrier turn on roaming, that way whoever needs to contact you can just call your regular number, which would be easier to remember in the panic of an emergency. It's when you start making calls from your phone that it gets expensive.

For that you could get a cheap phone and international sim.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: roaming in South America

Thank you, it is just in case I need to call home. I have a spare phone so will put an international sim in it.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: roaming in South America

My suggestion is you buy a SIM when you get there. And, have Global roaming on your Australian phone so that you are easily contactable by family in Australia.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: roaming in South America

yep I agree with YF and Jim.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,230 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: roaming in South America

Also. Make pre arranged times to talk face to face on Skype or yahoo messenger to family and friends in Australia.

6. Re: roaming in South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 06:22