We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 Weeks in Australia

Highley, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
6 Weeks in Australia

Hey,

I'm currently saving up to travel to Australia from the UK. I'm planning to come over for around about 6 weeks although I'm definitely in the early stages of planning and would love the opinion of some Aussies and people who know Australia well.

What's the best way of travelling around? I definitely want to spend maybe 1-2 weeks in Sydney as well as visiting Melbourne, Brisbane and the Great Barrier Reef. However, apart from that I'm pretty open to options but I am also aware of the distances between each. Are flights the best way to travel across Australia? Also, I love my culture and wondered what you thought the best attractions to visit would be, obviously the Opera House is up there.

Best places to stay? I'm unsure completely of my budget but I'm expecting about £400-£500 per week on accommodation.

I want to get in some sports as well whilst I'm over there. Any ideas on how much tickets to AFL or Cricket games can be (pretty glad I delayed going over for the Ashes this year!)

Finally, what kind of time of year is the best time to see Australia? I'm probably going to be traveling in 2015 (very early I know) but as I'll be coming from the UK I want to make it the best possible trip!

I understand this is pretty vague, any opinions at all would be greatly appreciated!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

March and April are a good time to visit, Aussie weather www.bom.gov.au

Domestic flights www.qantas.com.au www.jetstar.com www.virginaustralia.com.au

Buses www.greyhound.com.au

Accommodation www.venere.com www.wotif.com Though you can find cheap accommodation locally.

www.airasia.com LCC airline, may be starting up flights from Europe to Australia.

www.australia.com

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,744 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

Hi MI93.

IMO spring is the best compromise if you want to visit both the south and the tropical north of the country. See the Top Questions on the right for the FAQ about Weather and Seasons. For you the timing of the sports would be a factor as well.

6 weeks gives you time to include Canberra. You can stop over when flying between Sydney and Melbourne (for example) or you can make a diversion if driving between the two (about 2 hours from the coastal route and less than an hour from the inland route).

Speaking of transport, in general it is more efficient to fly the vast distances, but some routes are interesting/scenic and warrant doing a road trip.

Have a read of this and see what you think. tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k2…

Edited: 09 January 2014, 04:56
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

6 weeks will give you a good amount of time to really see some places properly. The easiest way to cover the distance between the main cities would be by plane, then you could potentially base yourself in each place and go from there. You could very easily spend 1 or more weeks in Sydney or Melbourne. You could do them in less time too of course (ie. 4-5 nights) and still get a great feel for them, but fitting in day or overnight trips as well will become difficult.

Sydney - visually stunning city and fun to boot. Great to wander around, good beaches, good food and views everywhere. Could travel out to the Blue Mountains from there for a dose of nature, or up to Newcastle to see a lovely, smaller Aussie city.

Melbourne - cultural hotpot. Has a bit of absolutely everything: food, music, modern culture. Has varied and interesting inner city suburbs bordering the CBD like Fitzroy, Richmond and St Kilda, all with their own character. Good access to wine regions or down to the Great Ocean Road.

The AFL season runs from the very end of March/start of April with all finals being played through September. The general admission price for season games in 2014 will be $AUD 22 for an adult, this may change slightly for 2015, finals are always quite a bit more. For fixture and date information you can visit www.afl.com.au.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
82 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

What a great trip. I agree Feb/March or August/September is really good weather generally especially in Queensland. You could fly into Melbourne and make your way up the east coast. Flying is quite cheap with Virgin and Jetstar having sales all the time you could pick up a flight from Melb to Syd for $35. I'm not sure if you need a whole 2 weeks in Sydney. Catch a flight from Sydney to the Gold Coast and hire a car this way you could drive south to Byron Bay and visit the lighthouse most easternly point of Australia and a great place to visit. Then you could drive up the east coast as far as you feel comfortable it's a pretty easy drive.

Then you can stop at Brisbane visit the XXXX Brewery, Lone Pine Sanctuary where you can cuddle koalas for free . Then make your way up to Sunshine Coast where Australia Zoo is located but some really nice places to stay like Mooloolaba and Noosa. You may want to sail around the Whitsundays so grab a flight to Airlie Beach, you can go out on boats from 1 to 7 nights, it's truly amazing. In Cairns it's more day trips unless you are into diving, plus you have the Rainforest areas like Cape Tribulation which is awesome.

depending on your interests you could do at least 3 weeks in Queensland alone and that's not going to the outback just the coastline. It really is up to you what you want to see most.

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
82 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

I forgot to tell you our Rugby League games start in March, there are stadiums in Melbourne, Sydney, Gold Coast, Brisbane and Townsville you can watch a game at. Suncorp Stadium is a great place to watch the Broncos play. AFL starts around the same time, you may be able to see a Lions AFL game and Broncos game in one weekend in Brisbane.

6. Re: 6 Weeks in Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19