We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Australia, need help!

tampere
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Australia, need help!

Hi all!

I'm travelling to Australia on 23 May - 4 June, so I will be there 11 days. Problem is, I have no idea what to do or where to go. This is part of my RTW trip. There is couple things what are on my must to see list: Tasmanian devils, Little penguins, Sydney opera house and Platypuses if possible =)

Arriving/departing city is Sydney. I planned to spend couple days in Sydney and then go with a rent car to Brisbane. From Brisbane I'm gonna take flight to Hobart. Couple days in Tasmania and then with a plane or boat to Melbourne. Rent-car from Melbourne and driving some routes back to Sydney.

Is there any sense on my plan? It is winter time in Australia and I think south part is pretty cold? It is not problem for me, because I'm from Finland =) Is there anything to see in Tasmania during winter time or should I skip it ? I can see TassyDevils also in mainland parks?

Question is. I Have 11 days to spend in Australia. Where I should go? I can rent a car or take a flight, but what are must see places in Australia(East part), where I should go(winter time) and what to avoid. Sorry my bad English, but I need help.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

ga.gov.au/education/geoscience-basics/dimens…

IMO you should visit Sydney and Melbourne, they will give you the experiences you say you want. Fly into one, fly to the other, fly onto your next country. Don't waste time driving or backtracking.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

Hi,

Your itinerary is doable however as you know is our winter & there are some fabulous places to explore at this time of the year. ie... Ningaloo Reef - Nth Western Australia / Cairns - Great Barrier Reef / Uluru - Ayers Rock which is an excellent time to visit in May / June.

With only 11 days you are best to fly between destinations & hire a car when you arrive. You do not need a car in Sydney or Melbourne.

The usual route for tourist at this time of the year with 11 days i- Sydney - 4days / Uluru - 2 days / Cairns - 5 days.

You could also consider some different routes -

Sydney - 3 days / Uluru - 2 days / Melbourne - 3 days / Hobart - 3 days / Sydney.

Sydney - 3 days / Melbourne - 3 days / Tasmania - 5 days

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

Just keep in mind those 2 and 3 day stops will include time spent checking out of hotels, travelling to the airport, etc. 3 days hardly does justice to Sydney or to Melbourne.

Taking Melbourne as an example, at least half a day just for the tour to Phillip Island to see the penguins, and a day trip to Healesville to see the Tasmanian devils and the platypuses, you might hear about the Great Ocean Road and add that day trip, then there's all the city attractions.

OR if you are not committed to seeing the penguins in the wild at Phillip Island you could see all those animals in Sydney and then instead of Melbourne choose a warmer northern tropical destination.

IMO in 11 days you could visit 2 destinations including day trips, or you could maybe squeeze in a short third destination. But don't compromise just to tick off as many stops as possible and end up seeing very little.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,254 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

All those animals can be seen at Taronga Zoo in Sydney ...

https://taronga.org.au/taronga-zoo

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

No need to apologise for your English, it's good!

A few things though...

Australia is a very big country and you only have 11 days. You do not want to be wasting your time driving between places, you simply don't have the time in 11 days. The route you have suggested also is a lot of back tracking/doubling up and is not going to allow you to see much at all.

Usually for 11 days we would recommend 3 destinations at the absolute most. Based on what you want to see, I'd suggest the following:

Fly into Sydney and stay 4 nights, then 4 nights in Melbourne and then 2 nights in Hobart and then fly back to Sydney.

Uluru is amazing and well worth seeing but will take a bit of time out of your trip and given that it was not in your original list I would exclude it for the amount of time you are here.

I'd also consider not going to Tasmania and just splitting your time between Melbourne and Sydney. You can see Tasmanian Devils in Victoria at Healsville Sanctuary which is a day trip from Melbourne. Although Tasmania is beautiful and Hobart is very picturesque, IMO you will get more out of seeing two places well than rushing three. This will also give you time to go to both Phillip Island (to see the Penguin Parade) and Healsville Sanctuary whilst on Melbourne and the Blue Mountains in Sydney.

Finally, regardless of wherever you go, you won't have an issue with the cold. It will be cold by Australian standards but having been to both Helsinki and Rovenemi in the winter, you will be fine!

Edited: 12 January 2014, 23:51
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,871 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

Why Brisbane? Unless you want to go to Fraser Island or the Gold Coast. However there are better beaches than those on the GC and you dont have enough time to go to Fraser Island with what you want to go.

I would chop down to two or three places at most as you will spend ALL your time waiting , commuting and seeing not much.

I think you need to firm up what you really would like to see in this short amount of time.

tampere
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

Wow! So many replies, thank you all.

Okay, so the flying is best way to travel in Australia, because distances between destinations are so far. Let's forget the Brisbane. It is not a problem fly between these destinations, but I thought there is something to see between these cities if you travel by car. So Tasmania is also nice during winter? I googled some pictures and there is no leaves on trees and it looked same as our late Autumn in Finland.

Everybody says Uluru is amazing. It is a huge rock middle of Australia? Is there something else. I don't get it. Should I take a flight to Uluru, see the rock and come back or is there also something else to see? If i have to choose between Uluru And Tasmania, I think Tasmania will still be better destination to go?

Phillip Island is the place where I can see little penguins and Healsville Sanctuary seems to be near Melbourne and there is rest of these animals. it is still better go to south than north? Okay, there is colder, but there is also more things to see(scenic route, parks etc.).

What is the best place(website) to book domestic flights across Australia? Sooner is cheaper? or is it possible to just go to the airport and jump to the next plane with cheap price. I decided(because of you =)) to change little bit my plans, so I travel long distances with a plane and took car/tour from the destination and drive little bit around, come back and fly to next place.

Btw, what are the temperatures usually in Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart in winter time?

Thank you for your quick replies, you guys are awesome =)

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,547 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

>>So Tasmania is also nice during winter? I googled some pictures and there is no leaves on trees and it looked same as our late Autumn in Finland.<<

Please post a link to the pictures so that we can see what you are talking about. Gum trees have leaves in winter. Deciduous trees do not. I don't understand, are you concerned about going somewhere that has no leaves or looks like home or what?

>>Everybody says Uluru is amazing. It is a huge rock middle of Australia? Is there something else. I don't get it. Should I take a flight to Uluru, see the rock and come back or is there also something else to see? If i have to choose between Uluru And Tasmania, I think Tasmania will still be better destination to go?<<

If you don't get it, you don't get it. In 11 days you do not have time to visit all the places that other people have enjoyed. Don't worry about it.

The only thing is that while Tasmania is beautiful I am not sure that it would seem as uniquely Australian from a European perspective as some other destinations.

>>Phillip Island is the place where I can see little penguins and Healsville Sanctuary seems to be near Melbourne and there is rest of these animals.<<

Phillip Island is where you can see the penguins in the wild. You can see them in other places in the zoo. Which do you prefer? Is it important to you to see the wild ones?

>>Btw, what are the temperatures usually in Sydney, Melbourne, Hobart in winter time?<<

There is information about the weather in the Top Questions on the right of your screen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

list what is important for you to see and do in Australia to help decide where to go.

Do you want to see the the animals in the wild? if yes, Melbourne may be good for a side trip to Phillip island to see the penguins and Sydney for a side trip to jenolan Caves to see platypus but only if you are interested in the Blue mountains and the caves.

do yo want to visit beaches and the Great Barrier Reef with a warmer climate? Or Uluru or Kakadu for a unique experience and immerse yourself in some Aboriginal culture?

visiting one city, depending on what attractions, and either a northern Queensland location or Kakadu or Uluru visit are some options.

so many choices !

tampere
Level Contributor
4 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to Australia, need help!

My bad, I looked wrong pics... It seem to be also nice in winter time http://www.think-tasmania.com/winter/

It is hard to understand differences between "winters". Our winter is 1 meter snow and -20 degrees cold and the nature is dead. Of course I'd like to see wild ones if possible(penguins, tasmanian devils..). 11 days is not much that size of country, but that's why I'm here asking some advises. Taking flight from Sydney to Hobart and then to Melbourne will be the best choice. Renting a car from Melbourne and driving around zoos, parks, scenic route, penguins etc. and then get back to Sydney by car or plane.